Troy Bolton x reader [2]

Note: So this was actually inspired by a dream I had yesterday that both the alarm and my sister woke me up from :P And after not being able to finish that dream, well - this sorta happened lol Enjoy!

A laugh escaped my mouth at something Troy said as I followed him down the hallway of East High. We'd been best friends practically all our lives, inseparable since diapers. I guess it was no wonder I followed him everywhere - not that Troy minded. In fact, he had told me on several occasions that he hated when I didn't show up where he was because he loved having me around. People joked we were glued at the hip and I suppose it was more or less true.

As I trudged behind him up the steps that led to the locker-room, I sent a small smile to a girl with curling black hair, books pressed to her chest. She returned it kindly, bowing her head slightly as she stepped past me. Hm. Must be that new girl - Gabriella. I'd heard about her - she seemed very studious, would probably make a good mathlete in the long run.

"Troy, just because it was about basketball doesn't automatically make it a better movie than Twilight," I pointed out.

He shot me a 'seriously?' look and I rolled my eyes, relenting a bit, "Okay, okay, so it has its cliche moments but that doesn't make it a bad movie,"

"Actually it kinda does. Besides, Bella whines too much - why?" he said over his shoulder and I sighed.

"Yeah, that I don't have an answer for."

Troy rounded the corner to another aisle of lockers then and I sat on one of the benches, waiting for him as he got changed to take a shower. In no time, he was done and came strolling out with only a towel wrapped 'round his waist, his abs on view for all to see. You'd think the sight would be enough to leave me weak in the knees - for most girls at East High it was anyway. But for me, it was no matter - neither was the rest of the boys littering the aisles in much the same attire. Chalk it up to growing up around half of them and always being considered just 'one of the guys', I suppose.

Suddenly, Coach Bolton stepped out of his office upon seeing me and his facial expression rapidly morphed from that of a friendly demeanor to full-on coach-mode.

"What are you doing in here again? We've already talked about this - you can't be in here." he huffed, effectively shooing me out of there as fast as possible.

I rolled my eyes as I got shuffled into the hallway with the slam of the glass door behind my back.

I crossed my arms, "How rude."

Classes ensued afterward and as the days passed, I had no inkling that this year would be any different from the others. But on the first Monday of the following week? Oh, how wrong I was.

My eyes popped open as my best friend came flying down the hallway towards me like a rocket, his mop of sandy-brown hair flopping in his face as he came to a sudden stop in front of me. I arched one eyebrow, crossing my arms over my chest as I stood still in front of my locker.

"What in the world have you done now, Bolton?" I sighed, just knowing that this was going to be bad news.

He frowned, "What? No! Nothing like that. Well...not yet anyhow. I mean, I'm thinking about it but I don't know- Just look!"

A crumpled yellow-and-white flyer was shoved in my face then and I took it from his outstretched hand, eyes scanning the jumble of words scrawled across the bottom. Then my eyes really did pop out of my head.

"Oh my gosh, Troy, you didn't!" I shrieked, making all heads turn towards us.

Troy faked a laugh, slapping a hand over my mouth to stifle the indignant noises threatening to escape, "She gets like this sometimes - excuse us!"

Quickly, he grabbed me by the waist before shuffling the two of us over to a corner where prying eyes couldn't see. Shoving his hand away, I glared up at his towering figure.

"A talent show, Troy? Really? What is your dad going to say when he finds out? This is supposed to take place at the same time as your game!"

"I know, I know! But..." he started and I pointed a finger at him, silencing his words.

"Don't you dare say this has something to do with that new girl," I said, a warning tone in my voice.

His blue eyes clouded over with confusion then, eyebrows furrowing, "Of course it doesn't. Why would it? I don't even know her... Besides, what would it matter if it was?"

My mouth dried up then, at a loss for words, "...I don't know. I mean, it doesn't! Quit changing the subject, Bolton!"

"Look, after winter vacation and getting up on the stage like that, I...I don't know," he admitted, shrugging, "This is just something I really wanna try - at least try, you know?"

I gazed up at my best friend then, at the hopeful expression plastered to his face and I knew I couldn't let him down. Not even at the expense of humiliating myself in front of the whole school.

A sigh escaped my mouth and I shook my head in resignation, "When do you want me?"

A huge smile lit up his face then, "3 o'clock! Auditions with Miss Darbus start right after the last class."

I knew I was going to regret this but if it helped Troy - well, I'd do anything for my best friend. I just had to keep that in mind as I trudged after him the following day to Miss Darbus' auditions. Even as I climbed the steps up the stage, knees knocking together and hands shaking like a sugar junkie's, I repeated it to myself like a mantra: it was all for Troy.

As I joined him by the piano, I felt butterflies of anxiety flutter in my stomach.

Troy began to sing then as Kelsey, the pianist, played on, "It's hard to believe that I couldn't see you were always there beside me,"

Taking a deep breath, I joined him, "Thought I was alone with no one to hold but you were always right beside me,"

As we sang together, I wanted say that I hated every minute of it but despite myself, I began to enjoy myself - in fact, it kind of made me feel all warm and squishy inside. Now that I did hate - it was too confusing to think on too much. But then again, maybe I should have. Because before I knew it, the big finale of the song was upon us and...I was not prepared for what happened next.

"I want you to know-" we sang in a higher note before going soft again, "-that I've never had someone that knows me like you do, the way you do..."

My eyes met Troy's baby blue orbs then and I sucked in a sharp breath. I hadn't even realized he was standing this close to me.

"And I've never had someone as good for me as you, no one like you," I sang on with him, despite the little looks Kelsey was shooting our way, "So lonely before, I finally found what I've been looking for..."

I couldn't take my eyes off him as Kelsey played on. I don't know what came over me, I don't know what came over him but slowly - someway, somehow - we leaned closer until finally, our lips collided. Shock radiated all throughout my body but I didn't heed it as I kissed him back, reveling in the soft warmth of his lips on mine - a gentleness I had never expected from him. But when someone cleared their throat behind us, Troy and I sprang apart like we'd been lit on fire. And as I gazed back with wide eyes into the expression of my best friend that mirrored my own - I knew we had made a grave mistake.

One that would have dire consequences for our friendship.