Spike x reader [4]

He took a drag of his cigarette with pale, slender fingers before blowing out a puff of smoke through his plump lips. I fought the urge to go over and kiss him right then and there as I stood watching him from the porch. But I couldn't and I knew it. He'd always been so mysterious, so elusive. Like trying to catch him - trying to capture the vampire's heart was like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands. He was an enigma, something I just couldn't put my finger on.

But when I had him in my sight? Oh, when I finally had him standing still for one second - that one precious infinite second...he was the most beautiful person on this earth. It didn't matter what Buffy tried to tell me about him, either, because I never listened. She'd been my best friend since high school and I'd always taken her advice - from clothes, to hair, to boyfriends. But on this matter? Concerning my heart?

No, Buffy couldn't answer me on this question. This question I had to answer for myself. And there was only one way to do that: I had to confess my feelings to Spike. But how could I do that? How could I just go up and tell him I like him? He'd probably laugh in my face and it would be so mortifying, I'd probably die then and there... Of course, if I did, then I could become a vampire so maybe it wouldn't be all bad, I thought to myself with a smirk.

An eternity with Spike sounded even better than eating a whole box of Banana Twinkies by myself. A sigh escaped my mouth and I bit my lip in thought as I walked over to the porch swing, flopping down on the bright red cushioning. But I wasn't that brave. I'd never been as bold as Buffy and this time was no different. I'd had a crush on Spike for two years now but I'd been too much of a chicken to do anything about it. Maybe I was just destined to be alone forever, I thought to myself sadly as I leaned back into the cushions.

"What are you doing out by yourself, love?" a familiar voice asked from the porch steps and glanced up, it only confirmed what I'd thought.

Spike stood there in all his leather glory - his signature coat brushed against his legs as he walked towards me and the black t-shirt he wore hugged his torso. I tried to ignore the butterflies swarming in my belly at him calling me "love" and shrugged.

"I just needed some fresh air," I lied, pushing strands of dark hair behind my ear.

He tilted his head to the side but seemed to buy it as he came to sit beside me, draping an arm across the back of the swing. With him this close to me, I could make out the smell of cologne clinging to his clothes - a musky scent that screamed Spike.

"Well, maybe you should be more careful what with Buffy not around. Don't know what might creep up on you in the dark," he smirked as he leaned closer, that lovely British accent sticking to his words like honey.

Shivering, I moved away from him a few inches to put some distance between us. He was too...intoxicating this close. Spike must have noticed my discomfort though because the smirk on his face grew.

"What's wrong? Am I too intimidating? Too scary for you?" he asked, shifting so he was closer now.

I moved again and once more, he mimicked my actions. I went to move again but unfortunately, there was nowhere left to go and I was left with my leg wedged against the swing. Grinning, Spike moved one last time until he was sitting firmly pressed up against me, his leg touching mine. I looked away from him, my heart beating so fast and loud in my chest, I knew he could hear it with his vampire-hearing. Confirming my suspicions, I heard a chuckle erupt from his mouth.

"Am I frightening you, love?" he cocked an eyebrow at me, a smile of amusement on his face.

I huffed, abruptly getting up from the swing and walking over to sit down on the porch steps.

"No," I snapped at him, "I just don't like you sitting that close to me,"

The thud of boots came from behind me and suddenly, Spike plopped himself down next to me. When I glanced up to shoot him a glare though, I sucked in a sharp breath. His face was mere inches from my own, making me blush scarlet. Hiding it behind a curtain of my long, dark hair, I looked back down at my hands. How dare he sit that close! He knew what it did to me!

But just as I began to get lost in thought, I felt two fingers brush against my cheek. Slowly, I chanced a glance over at Spike again to see him pushing tendrils of hair behind my ear.

"There..." he said softly, meeting my gaze, "Now I can see your beautiful face..."

I ducked my head down at the compliment, trying to hide the spread of scarlet that rose to my cheeks at his words. But just as before, he tilted my head up with his index finger, letting it linger there longer than necessary. My eyes flitted up to his blue orbs then and I sucked in a breath at our close proximity, almost losing myself in the flecks of color swirling there. I hadn't realized just how beautiful his eyes were - not until I was gazing into them. They held a fierceness that was all his own but hidden underneath, I could see a softness. It surprised me to say the least.

I'd always seen Spike as this brazen, reckless, dangerous supernatural creature - this entity of a person. But in this one perfect moment...I saw him as more than that. And with those thoughts firmly in mind, I did something bold. Something...something as reckless as he was. I pressed my lips to his. It took him aback at first but a few seconds later, I felt him kiss me back.

Spike inched closer on the steps and his hands came to rest on my waist, pulling me to him. A warmth spread through me as his lips connected with mine over and over again, sending butterflies swarming in my stomach. But just as he deepened the kiss, someone cleared their throat from behind us and we sprang apart. I looked up guilty into the face of my older sister, Willow. Her hands were on her hips, red hair fanned out over her shoulders like Ariel from The Little Mermaid. But her lips were pursed and I could see a mix of shock and disappointment registered in her light eyes.

"I think it's time you came inside." she said to me curtly, the tone of her voice denoting that there was no room for argument.

Slowly, I nodded, shooting Spike an apologetic look before brushing past Willow into the house. But just as I turned back around, I caught a glimpse of Spike walking back down the driveway. His back was to me but I could just make out his fist held high in the air - John Bender style. 80's junkie, I thought to myself, grinning and rolling my eyes.