Harry Osborn x reader

*start song*

"We're sorry, Mr. Osborn, but for some reason, we're losing her..." the doctor said, his voice strained.

"WHAT?! What do you mean "you're losing her"?!" Harry shouted at the man.

"We've run tests but we've done all we can-" he started but Harry cut him off.

"I'm one of the richest men because I inherited this company from my father. Don't tell me there's nothing you can do!" Harry said, his voice beginning to break.

"I'm sorry, sir, but-" the man started again.

But Harry just put up a hand, silencing him.

"Don't! I don't wanna hear it!" he told the man sternly and walked over to the glass window to where his beloved wife of two years lay in bed.

Her skin was deathly pale and her normally bright auburn hair was matted with sweat. Tears pricked Harry's ice-blue eyes. She was fighting for her life in there. But she shouldn't be. It should be me, he thought to himself bitterly. She was too young to die.

It wasn't fair! With a shaking hand, he wrenched open the door and stepped inside. The stale hospital-like air of the bedroom they used to share hit him in the face. Various monitors and tubes lined the bed but Harry wove his way around them to get to her. Her chocolate-brown eyes slowly opened before flicking to his. A smile lighted up her face but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Harry..." she breathed out softly, reaching a hand to him.

Sing me to sleep

"Sing me to sleep..." she spoke again, her voice almost inaudible in their large bedroom.

Sing me to sleep, I'm tired and I want to go to bed

"Sing me to sleep..." she said again when he didn't move, "I'm tired and I...want to go to bed..."

Sing me to sleep

Slowly, Harry sat down on the bed and pulled her frail body close to his.

Sing me to sleep

She put her head on his chest, his rapidly beating heart soothing in her ears. Breathing out a sigh, her eyes got heavier and heavier.

And then leave me alone

Tears filled Harry's baby blue eyes. He didn't want to leave her alone to face this.

Don't try to wake me in the morning 'cause I will be gone

"Don't try to wake me in the morning," she told him, her voice raspy, "'Cause I will be gone..."

Harry felt like someone had stabbed him in the heart with a knife and it just kept twisting around. She looked up at him then and saw the tears lingering in his eyes. Her hand rested gently on his face and she caressed his skin with her thumb.

Don't feel bad for me

"Oh, Harry, don't feel bad for me..." she said softly, her own brown eyes on the brink of tears as well.

I want you to know

Staring deeply into his eyes, she knew how much this was hurting him. And more than anything, she didn't want to leave him alone in this world. They were all each other ever had. But she had no choice.

Deep in the cell of my heart

Deep in her heart, she knew she couldn't stay. The cancer had been too fast-moving and it pained her more and more each day.