I Grieve [Maggie Rhee]

Note: A character-centric one of Maggie reflecting on Glenn's death. So prepare for sadness, y'all... Also, song is above if you'd like to listen while reading.

Maggie's POV:

In the aftermath of it all, I felt like I couldn't breathe. And when dawn broke...I still couldn't. It's like all of the air had been sucked out of my lungs. I guess that's how it feels for those who've lost someone close to them. It feels like you should have died too. Like it's not fair to them that you're still here and they're not.

Glenn had been my husband and the only family I'd had left in this world. The only thing that kept me sane. I loved him with my whole heart...and now he was gone. Tears trickled down my face once more and out of the corner of my eye, I could just see his body lying on the dusty ground. Briefly, I squeezed my eyes shut. This wasn't the way it was supposed to end. Not for him. Not like this. He was supposed to meet our child and live his life. We were supposed to stay together forever. He wasn't supposed to leave me.

It was only one hour ago...

I looked up into the sky just as the sun came up over the horizon. Memories came back to me of a morning when we'd spent the day together - talking...laughing...

It was all so different then

His eyes had lit up at a joke that Abraham had told and his laugh resounded through the forest. That day was long gone now though. I bit back a sob. There would never be another day like that again...

There's nothing yet has really sunk in

My eyes drifted down to the wedding ring on my finger.

Glenn slipped the ring onto my finger and I beamed at him as he captured my lips with his. His hands cupped my face and his lips moved with mine.

Looks like it always did

The diamond caught in the sunlight and a tear escaped my eye.

This flesh and bone

But for all of the good memories that filled my mind, right now they couldn't outweigh the bad ones. They couldn't outweigh the trauma of what had just happened.

Is just the way that you were tied in

But it was over now. Glenn was in heaven and he was at peace now. If Daddy were here, that's what he'd tell me. He'd remind me to keep my head up.

Now there's no one home

Even he was gone now too. Him...Beth...Glenn. And now I was all alone. I didn't have anyone left... Slowly, I got to my feet and I looked over at his body.

I grieve

I let out a ragged breath as more hot tears ran down my cheeks. The others came to my side but I barely noticed. The pain blinded me.

For you...

Thoughts of him ran wild through my mind. All the moments we'd shared - our first kiss, our marriage, and all of the times he'd been there for me when no one else had.

You leave me

His last words came into my mind then."I'll always find you." A sob escaped my mouth and an ache formed in my chest. I would never see him again. Not ever. Everything else after that was a blur. Everyone agreed to come with me to the Hilltop even though I refused. No one else could die on my behalf.

It's so hard to move on...

The group picked up the bodies and I began to weep as Glenn's was transported onto the RV. More tears clouded my vision as Michonne and Sasha helped me into the vehicle.

Still loving what's gone

My eyes never left his body as I sat down. I knew in my heart that I would always love him. No matter how long I'd live...I'd always love him. And only him.

They say life carries on

My hand went to my stomach and a flash of pain started in my chest. He'd never meet our baby. Never know it and it would never know him.

Carries on and on...

I closed my eyes and rested my head against the couch.

And on...

Life would go on after this.

And on...

I knew that but...but somehow, it didn't feel like it...should. What world was there for me without Glenn? How could I carry on? But whatever life threw at me...I know I'll be strong... Because he'll always be watching over me...forever...