Ben Mason x reader {Pt. 1]

As I watched from behind the tarp, Maggie walked away from Ben as a tear rolled down his cheek. I slowly stepped out from my hiding spot and Maggie stopped a moment. She looked up at me, guilt evident in her eyes as she brushed past me.

How could she do this to him? How could she hurt him like this? He didn't deserve this. Ben had been my best friend since this invasion had begun. I had been apart of the resistance already when Tom and Hal had rescued Ben from the aliens. No one else had even wanted to speak to him then. I was the first one who had.

It wasn't until we were older, when Ben had left the group that I realized I was in love with him. I don't know how it happened or even when. All I knew is how I felt for him. And I never wanted that to go away - never wanted him to go away.

And now this stupid girl was hurting him, breaking him - making him feel worthless. I scowled at Maggie's back as she left before turning back to Ben who hadn't noticed me yet. I walked up to him and gently put my hand on his back. He flinched at first before turning around and seeing who it was.

He tried to smile but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Hey, Al." he said softly.

"Ben, I'm so sorry," I said, reaching to hug him.

And with that, his resolve broke and he wrapped his arms around my small frame, crying into my worn hoodie.

"Shh...it's alright, Ben. Everything will be fine."

He pulled away from me then and I saw clearly the tears that were in his eyes.

"Why me? What's wrong with me?" he whispered and looked down at his shoes.

I held his face in my hands and forced him to meet my eyes.

"Ben Mason, listen to me. There is nothing wrong with you. You are a wonderful person, a great brother, son, friend. And you're one of the best fighters the Second Mass has. Any girl would be lucky to have you. And if Maggie doesn't see that, she's blind. Just because this didn't work out, doesn't mean that there aren't others. You will find happiness one day...just not with her."

He closed his eyes for a moment before opening them again and nodding his head.

"You're right. I just...I felt such a connection to her....I thought she felt the same. I thought she was the one, Al."

It felt like someone had punched me in the stomach as he said those words. Nothing hurts worse than to hear that from the boy you love. But I faked a smile and rubbed his shoulder reassuringly.

"I know, B. But everything will work out the way it's supposed to. And right now, it may not feel that way. But it does."

He smiled then - a real smile and pulled me into his arms. As he hugged me, I lay my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes.

I had it so bad for this boy...