T'Challa x reader

Note: The long-awaited Black Panther one shot is FINALLY HERE! After two years that I had first started on it lol Anywho, hope you enjoy! :)

I squeezed my eyes shut tightly, holding onto the bathroom sink so hard that my knuckles turned white from the contact.

Positive, positive, positive.

That one word kept repeating in my head over and over again, blocking out my other thoughts completely. Finally, I opened my eyes once more to glance back at my reflection - dark brown eyes, olive skin and hair as black as a raven's wing. But instead of taking in my mixed-race features, my gaze slid down to my stomach. I pressed my hand there gently, my heart racing in my chest.

So it was true. I had suspected for a couple of weeks now but after puking for the fifth morning in a row, I had decided to take the test.

I was pregnant.

But I wasn't just pregnant. No, I was pregnant with the child of the King. I was carrying T'Challa's child.

But I wasn't anything special. He's a King, for crying out loud! And I'm not even from Wakanda, I thought glumly. I was just a street kid from Brooklyn who was in the right place at the right time.

Speaking of, how would T'Challa react to this? Or his people for that matter? They didn't even know who I was.

I'd met T'Challa when he'd saved me from a mugger in Brooklyn. He'd been dressed as the Black Panther then, on a personal trip to New York when he had heard my screams. I was lucky he'd gotten there when he did, otherwise...otherwise I don't know what would have happened. I might be dead now. But as soon he showed up, as soon as it was over and he removed his mask, the attraction between us was undeniable. He kept coming back after that and soon, the friendship we had began turned into so much more - I had fallen in love with him.

Just a white and Latina mixed girl from a poor family. He was only a prince at the time but even though I knew the boundaries? The barriers between us? I didn't heed them.

But now? Gazing at my flat stomach that would begin to grow in just the next few weeks, I wished I had.

Just four months after we'd began to date, T'Challa had left back to Wakanda to be with his family - they needed him, I knew. But now...now I needed him to. And so would the baby growing in my stomach. How in the world could I do this without him?

My eyes flitted to the ticket stub on my dresser. I bought it a few days ago, hoping I could go visit him. Now it seemed more prudent. A sigh escaped from between my teeth as I quickly readied to leave - it really was now or never. And honestly? If I was going to be raising this baby alone, I'd rather know now than figure it out when I was 7 months pregnant and big as a barn.

Several hours later, I was on a plane with a window seat, gazing down at the passing landscape below me. At this point, I was trying very hard not to touch my stomach and give it away in case any other passengers were watching me. If anyone figured out who I was...well, let's just say it wouldn't be good press for anyone involved.

At least I had time to think up here anyhow. How would I even go about telling him? I needed to get him alone, that was for sure. It would be so much easier that way. That and less wagging tongues of the privy council he likely possessed.

My thoughts were jolted by the flight attendant announcing we were about to land.

Great, just great. So much for my alone time to design a plan for all of this.

I landed at an airport semi-close to Wakanda but far enough away from prying eyes as I stepped off the plane and headed to my intended location. What I hadn't expected though was just how lush and lovely the entire place was - T'Challa had always described it as one of the most amazing places in the world, no matter how much he'd traveled. And now I could see just how right he was. Africa was...insanely beautiful.

That was the moment I first laid my eyes on the palace - the place where T'Challa had been born and raised. The place he now was with advisers and his family surrounding him. I took a deep breath but to no avail, my hands were already shaking as I was led inside after requesting an audience. Well...that was the plan anyway. But as soon as I got the chance, I broke away from the guards and found my own way. Finding his bedroom wasn't hard and it was there I decided to wait for him.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I sat on the edge of his bed situated just in front of the door. This was it, now or never. Time to drop the bomb of a lifetime on the man I loved most in the world. A lump of fear formed in my throat then. What if he didn't want this child? What if he demanded his guards to throw me out? What if...what if he never wanted to see me again?

That conversation came sooner than expected though as suddenly, the door was thrown wide open and T'Challa came bursting inside. My eyes widened at the sight of him, dressed up in fancy but kingly robes he wore down to his ankles. He looked pretty...gorgeous. I swallowed hard but the fear upon seeing me was misplaced as a grin lit up his face.

In seconds, he had swept me up into his arms and for the first time in so long, I felt at home again. He began pressing kisses all over my face and my neck and I giggled, eyes fluttering closed as I let him shower me with affection. I had missed his touch so badly.

Goosebumps popped up across my skin then as his kisses became hungrier and more passionate. His tongue swiped across my lower lip then as he demanded entry and I obliged, allowing him to deepen the kiss as his hands encircled my waist, fingers drawing circles on my lower back. I made a noise of contentment into the kiss before mentally shaking myself.

No, this was not what I'd come here for.

Abruptly, I broke the kiss, leaving us both panting as he gazed down at me. His thumb caressed my jaw, cocoa-brown eyes dancing with happiness.

"You came. Someone said they'd seen a tan girl come into my room - I knew it was you," he said softly, his African accent sticking to his words like sweet, sweet syrup on a stack of pancakes, and with just the sound of his voice, I felt my knees give.

But he caught me deftly, cradling me gently into his chest. His arms tightened as I shivered, "What's wrong? You're trembling,"

"I, um...I'm just happy to see you. It's been so long," I lied, suddenly feeling afraid of confessing.

But as always, his dark eyes saw through my mask. His fingers grasped my chin gently and tilted my face up to meet his gaze.

"Come now, I know you better than that. What's really bothering you?" he asked, concern lacing his voice, "You can tell me anything."

Sighing, I broke free of his embrace and stepped over to the balcony that looked out across Wakanda. It was an impeccable skyline, foliage and forest spanning for miles and miles. This was it. I had to tell him.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I finally let the words slip out.

"T'Challa, I'm pregnant..."

The silence that ensued felt deafening to my ears, the room so quiet you could hear a pin drop. An undefinable amount of time passed then, the clock ticking on the wall when finally, I could stand it no longer and spun to face him, only to find T'Challa still standing there, mouth agape in shock.

"I'm carrying your child, you could at least say something!" I shouted at him then, not caring who happened to hear us through the thin castle walls.

What happened next was both unexpected and amazing. Instead of replying, T'Challa fell to his knees in front of me, face aligned with that of my stomach. Gently, he placed his hands on either side of me and began to speak softly. But not to me...no, his words were directed to the tiny life growing within me.

"Hello, baby. It's T'Challa speaking. Your king...but more importantly...your father."

Tears pricked my eyes then and a choked sob burst free from my lips.

And I knew deep in my heart that this was just the beginning of the next chapters in our lives, the start of something truly epic.