Prologue (Hannah)

There are four words no one ever wants to hear.

"We need to talk."

 It always ends with tears and heartbreak, permanent scars marked on your heart.

At least that's what I've heard.

What could be worse than hearing those four words from the person your significant other? Having your entire world shattering to the ground around you because; "It's not you,it's me."

Well, try hearing them out of your father's mouth. It'll bring on a whole new meaning.

Pausing in the middle of the dining room Sunday morning, the good ol' faithful last day of summer vacation, I came face to face with my red faced father. I could only imagine what it was that he wanted to "talk" about.

"Talk?" I swallowed, glancing over my shoulder in hopes Hailey was heading into the room. No such luck.

"Sit, Banana." He just had to use that nickname. I was starting to wonder if he realized I was almost eighteen, not eight.

"Dad-"

"How are you doing, sweetie? How was your summer?" I could already feel my cheeks starting to flush, my heart pounding against my chest. I did not want to spend the last day of my summer vacation talking to my father about my sex life.

"It was great. Had fun." I shrugged, running my finger along the old linen placemat Nana had sent last Christmas.

"Yeah? How is Justin doing?" God, please have mercy on my soul. I don't want to talk about this.

"He's great. Got a job at his father's dealership and interned at Harvard for a few weeks." My dad looked impressed, distracted from his original reason for sitting me down and nodding.

"Smart kid." I nodded in agreement, "Isn't he on some sports team as well?" I frowned at the comment.

"He was on the baseball team last year, but he's focusing more on the core academics this year so he can get the rest of his credits." I responded, watching Dad lower his eyes back to the table.

"Seems like a good kid." He praised, "But sometimes, especially when hormones and alcohol t-"

"Dad!" I groaned, burying my face in my hands so I didn't have to face him.

"Banana, I'm only looking out for your be-"

"Please stop." I grumbled, shaking my head.

"Sweetie, you two have been a relationship for a little over a year. Tell me he hasn't approached you on the idea of it." I felt warmth spread through my cheeks, fighting the urge to bang my head against the table.

"Of course he has, Dad. But he's a good guy, he's not going to force me into anything." He reached out and touched the top of my hand.

"I know, honey. There may be a time soon, though, when you realize you want to move it along. I can't allow you to do that. Not while you're still living here, under this roof." I huffed out a loud, embarrassed sigh.

"Justin and Sophia are waiting for me at the diner. I better get going." I cleared my throat and stood up, straightening out my clothes.

"Be careful, Hannah." He replied, joining me in front of the door, my fingers lacing through the small hole at the bottom of my shirt.

"I will, Daddy. I promise." I kissed his cheek, "I'll see you later."

*

"Seriously?" Justin set me an amused glance across the booth, "Was Hailey there?"

"No. But I'm sure he'll give her the same talk. I wanted to crawl into a hole and die. I don't want to discuss my sex life with my father, Sex Ed teacher or not." Sophia was still too busy rolling over in laughter to hear the rest of our conversation.

"I can't wait until school starts," Sophia said through sharp breaths, her face bright red, "you and Hailey will be in so deep with Mr. Daddy." I flashed her an annoyed look, to which she only waved off.

"I am going to go find Mason's stupid ass in the parking lot, he got lost again. I'll be back, lovelies." She shoved her purse against Justin's side before jogging toward the front door, shaking her head as she mumbled things in Spanish under her breath.

"Hey, calm down, Han." Justin squeezed my leg under the booth, "He's just being overprotective, it's what Dad's do." I shook my head, stabbing at my salad.

"He's not like most Dads, Justin. He's way worse." Justin's lip curled slightly, guilt spreading through my chest when I realized what I had said.

"I didn't mean that." I moved around the booth and sat beside him, touching his cheek, "I'm sorry." He shrugged, brushing his thumb along my knuckles.

"It's fine, Han, really." I laid my head against his shoulder, feeling his hand fall from my knuckles and to my leg, his thumb caressing the bare skin a few inches beneath my sundress.

"He just wants what's best for you two, Hannah. As much as I love you, I'm not going to go against his wishes," He leaned forward and nuzzled his face against my neck, his lips moving to my ear, "not yet."

I felt warmth spread through my cheeks for the second time today, but the reasons behind them couldn't have been any more different. I sighed in relief when I saw Sophia dragging Mason in my his ear, looking seconds away from flicking his forehead.

"Mase, what'd you do this time?" I teased once they approached. Soph gave me a quick look, trying to remember if I had been sitting here the entire time or not.

"I said she looked like a clown with all that on her face." He made a gesture toward Sophia's face, earning something close to a murderous glare out of her.

"There you guys are! I had to trade the other waitress to be able to work this side of the diner." Hailey appeared a few feet behind her best friend, squeezing his shoulder with a smile that couldn't have possibly been more obvious.

"What? What happened?" She met my eyes, then looked around the table at our friends. Finally she swallowed and looked down at her notepad with a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

"Do I even want to know?"  

***AN***

Just a little insight into Hannah's life. The next will be Hailey's. 

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24