Chapter 38: Playing House (Hailey)

"You're not moving out." Dad said a few days into the new year.

"Too late." I walked around him and carried the last box to Mason's truck. "I already am."

"You're too young." He followed me out of the house.

"I'm a legal adult." I set the box in the bed of the truck before turning to face him. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna end up on Teen Mom or anything."

"Bring your things back inside, Hailey." He started to grab one of my boxes, but Hannah shoved him away.

"Fuck off." She glared at him. "Or it'll just be you and Justin."

"Don't talk to your father that way, Hannah." Dad was pissed off. He's known about my plans to move out but has waited until I was actually leaving to say anything.

"Why don't we go inside and talk about this like adults." Justin suggested from the front door.

"You don't get a say in this, asshole." I shouted at him before walking around to the passenger door. "Come on, Han. I can't drive."

"Don't do this." Dad pleaded with us as Hannah got into the driver's seat.

"It's too late for that." Hannah said to him before starting the truck up and backing out.

"Thank you for helping me." I thanked her as we drove off our street. "Mason and Walt are busy finishing up some legal stuff."

"It's not a problem, Hail." She tapped the steering wheel to the beat of the song that was playing through the radio. "You're my sister, not a stranger."

"I know, but things have been weird these past couple of months." I leaned my head against the window and stared out the windshield.

"They have." She agreed and turned onto the road that led to downtown. "You're moving in with your unofficial boyfriend and his uncle, and I'm single for the first time in years."

"I can still kick his ass." I offered. "Can't believe you broke up with him."

"He thought about cheating on me." Her head hit the headrest with a quiet thud as we got stuck in traffic. "And he was gonna break up with me anyway."

"Yeah." I nodded. "But still, Mason has a baseball bat in the bed and it's not that far of a walk to the house. I can go beat his ass and be back before you move a foot in this traffic."

"Hey, it's my job to beat people up." She changed the radio station to something less pop and more rock. "And he's not worth the jail time."

"We don't know who's older." I reminded her.

"Don't care." She poked my shoulder. "So do you know if the complex has one bedroom or studio apartments?"

"No clue." I shook my head. "I know they mainly have two bedrooms. Could you even afford an apartment on just your paycheck from Target?"

"Maybe not downtown, but Sophia and I have been talking about maybe getting a place together since you're living with Mase now."

"Is she not playing on shacking up with her..." I trailed off because I don't know exactly to call Coach since I don't know what Hannah knows.

"I know about her and Coach, Hail." She whispered. "I know they're sleeping together."

"She told you?" I turned my head to look at her.

"No, I saw them kissing after that charity thing Justin and I did at the school a couple of months ago." She sat up again when the cars in front of us began moving a little. "I doubt she would move in with him because that would mean revealing their relationship."