Chapter 34: I Just Want To Be A Real Girl (Hannah)

Sophia and I watched Justin throw up for the third time in the trash can a few feet away in disgust.

Considering Soph had made us ride almost every roller coaster, it was no surprise that everything he'd ate had come right back up the second he were back on the ground. A small part of me knew I should be standing beside him and making sure he was okay, but my disgust pushed that thought out of my head and replaced it with giving him a worried glance from afar.

"Let's take a selfie!" Sophia said suddenly, pulling her phone from her pocket. I fixed the Minnie Mouse ears on my head and leaned against my best friend, making a silly face with her before we both fell into a fit of giggles.

"Glad you find my sickness funny." Justin muttered as he came up behind us, flipping Sophia's camera off when she tried to take a picture.

"Oh My God, the Jungle Cruise is over there!" Sophia squealed, whirling around to squeeze my shoulders, "Do you remember the our third grade accident on that ride?" Justin rubbed his palms against his jeans, an amused look starting to move through his eyes.

"Accident?" he asked.

"We promised to never-" I started, whirling around to give my best friend a pointed look, but she had already started to go on.

"Okay, so your pretty little girlfriend here was completely in love with this fifth grader, Bryan or Brent, or something like that. Our parents had saved enough money to bring us here and the first ride we went on was the Jungle Cruise. Hannah saw Mr. B and waved, giggled, then somehow managed to fall over the side of the boat and into the water. She screamed, because at the time we thought the animals on the attraction were real." Justin was already laughing his ass off halfway through the story. I crossed my arms over my chest, turning my back on my friends and heading for the line.

"Sorry, babe. It's just. . . I can totally just picture you doing that." Justin kissed my temple, wrapping his arm around me as he joined Soph and I in line.

"I wonder where in the park Mase and Hailey are." Sophia commented, staring down at her phone. I shrugged, laying my head against her shoulder as I pushed the phone down and away from her face.

"We'll be meeting up to watch the fireworks, Soph." was all I said.

After about an hour of waiting in line, we were finally able to climb on board the boat that somehow seemed so much smaller than it had been the last time I'd been here.

"How did we ever think they were real?" Sophia questioned, watching as we passed an elephant. I had to hand it to whoever built the things, they did look pretty realistic.

"Mommy! Mommy look!" A girl's voice broke through my thoughts. I turned to find a little girl with dark pigtails tugging at her Mom's hand. Her mother was more interested in her phone than the little girl pointing at the animatronic animals around us.

"They're so cool, huh?" I asked her, crouching down so I was at eye level with her. She nodded, pulling away from her mom and standing beside me with a toothy grin. One of her front teeth were missing.

"Yeah! I want to wide an elphant when I get bigger." She explained, mispronouncing most of the words. I smiled, nodding as I pointed at the Giraffe's we were passing.

"I want to be a Veterinarian." I responded. She frowned, her brown eye narrowing.

"Is that someone who doesn't eat meat?" She questioned, earning a quiet laugh out of me.

"No, that's a vegetarian or a vegan. A Vet is someone who helps save animals like that big giraffe if he hurt himself." I explained as best as I could. She started hopping up and down again, giggling.