Chapter 28: Fix a Heart (Hannah)

"This wasn't how my senior year was supposed to play out."

The guidance counselor lifted her head, her tight bun slowly starting to come undone as she watched me wipe the tears from my cheeks with a tissue.

"Ms. Jacobs. I know it's hard to understand right now, but everything is going to get better. It'll all work itself out." she assured me, reaching across the desk and giving the top of my hand an emotionless pat.

"How can you be so sure?" I whispered, sniffling, "I'm scared and it seems like no matter how hard I try nothing ever seems to work out. I can't help anyone, no one is hap-"

"There you are!" The door to Ms. Jaminson's office was thrown open, Justin hanging in the doorway with my backpack hanging halfway off his shoulder.

"Mr. Davidson! Remove yourself from my office! This is a private meeting, you-'

"Private meeting? Han, are you okay?" I quickly blinked the tears from my eyes and stood up, grabbing my purse from the ground as I headed for my boyfriend in the doorway.

"I'm great." I kissed his cheek and ducked out of the room beneath his arm with a wave thrown in Ms. Jaminson's direction. I waited until we were out in the office to turn to face Justin, he still looked surprised.

"Why were you crying? Are you okay? Is something going on?" He took my hands, examining my hands before kissing my forehead.

"Why aren't you in class, Mr-"

"They let us all out early. Had a weird staff meeting thing and gave us a half day." He shrugged, "Said it didn't matter since tomorrow is the start of Winter Break."

I hugged him then, burying my face against his chest as I cried.

I cried for my twin sister, the girl that had been my backbone for as long as I remember. The girl that had been in love with the only person in the world she couldn't have. I cried for the sister that deserved the world, a world that I wouldn't give to her.

*

Dad was at the dinner table when Justin and I got home, by himself. Hailey was nowhere in sight, and by the looks of her room, looked as if she hadn't been here all day.

"Hi, Daddy." I kissed his cheek as I shrugged my jacket off and tossed it to Justin to hang up. "Have you eaten?"

"No." he mumbled.

"Are you hungry?" I was asking both boys, but Justin was the only one that responded.

"I could eat. You need help?" I smiled and nodded at him, before turning back to my dad. He was sipping on a glass of water, pretending to be interested in a newspaper in front of him, but I could tell just by how tense he was that he was not even close to reading.

"What do you want to eat, Daddy?" I asked, reaching out to touch his shoulder, "I can make anything."

"I like your pizza." Justin wrapped his arms around me from behind, "Or were you talking to your dad?"

"Gross." I grumbled with a laugh. "I told you I wasn't into that stuff. Justin. I was talking to my actual Dad, idiot."

I saw a hint of a smile appear on my dad's face as he looked up from his newspaper, a sad look in his eyes.

"I'm okay with that too, baby girl." He stood and sighed, his eyes on Justin behind me, "She has and always will only have one Daddy, understood?"

Justin started laughing his ass of, "Yes, sir."

*

"You aren't going to believe what Mama got us." Sophia sounded excited.

"Plane tickets?" was my first guess. I stripped out of my tight sweater and jeans, propping my phone between my ear and shoulder.