Chapter 42 pt2: Because Of You (Hannah)

I collapsed against the brick wall outside the school, my vision blurring to a point where I wouldn't be able to move any further without everything spinning and coming in and out of focus.

"Hannah! Stop! I can't breathe!" Hailey rammed hard into my back, resulting in the both of us crashing to the ground. She started giggling almost immediately, her laugh so contagious that I smiled a little through my tears.

"What's wrong?" she stood and outstretched her hand. I shrugged in response, more comfortable sitting on the ground and ruining my expensive Prom dress.

"Is it Justin?" a flash of anger appeared in her eyes. "Did he try something?"

"No." I rubbed my at my arms, biting down hard on my lip to keep it from quivering, "I just. . . a song came on in there and-"

"And the song reminded you of Mom?" she finished for me, sighing as she leaned back against the wall.

"What if it was my fault?" I breathed out, feeling tears starting to sting my eyelids again, "What if she left because of me? I was never nice to her, Hailey. What if I ruined your life because-"

"You never did anything wrong!" My sister snapped angrily, "She's the bitch, Han. She's the one who left us." I shook my head, feeling a lump crawling up my throat.

"But what if I was the one that caused it? What if I ruined your life? You could have had a perfect life, with the perfect family if I had just kept my mouth shut." I said, turning my head so I didn't have to face her.

"If you don't stop, I'll take off this heel and slap you with it." she threatened, "You didn't do anything, Han. Sure you do kind of run your mouth, but don't we all when we want to express how we feel? I would rather spend my entire life with you then the worthless excuse for parents we've got." I laughed quietly, wiping at my eyes before my mascara could smear entirely. I lifted my head to respond to my sister, surprised to find Johnny standing behind her.

My sister shifted awkwardly, "Should I go find Justi-"

"I broke up with him again." I didn't look at her, "He was staring at some girl's ass and was pissing me off. I'm done with him and his bullshit mood swings."

"Shit, Han. I'm so sorry." my sister started to reach for me again, but Mason poked his head out and grabbed her hand before she could.

"They're crowning king and queen and I'm positive Carter's going to get it." he gave me a warm smile before throwing his arm over my sister's shoulder and dragging her away.

"Go away, Carson." I whispered, wiping at my eyes, "You don't need more fuel for all your snide comments."

"Are you okay? And I mean, really okay. Don't lie." he asked.

"Do I look okay?" I kept my eyes on my black heels, blinking tears out of my eyes before they could escape them.

"I've been looking for you all night." he changed the subject with a scratch of his head.

"Wow, I feel so honored. Johnny freaking Carson was looking for me? Am I dreaming?" I said in high pitched voice, fanning myself dramatically.

"Funny." he rolled his eyes.

"Why were you looking for me? Did you want to tell me how much of a goth I look like in this dress?" I crossed my arms over my legs and stared at his sneakers.

Only Johnny Carson would wear sneakers to Prom.

"You actually look great, Hannah. I. . . I know it's hard, okay? All the shit that's going on with you, but I'm here if you need me." he looked so awkward and vulnerable he reminded me of Mason; or a lost puppy.