Chapter 27: Break My Heart (Hailey)

"I'm going out for a walk." I told Dad as I finished the dishes.

"Be back by ten." He said curtly. "And if you're late, you're banned from being near that Banks' kid."

I simply nodded before going to grab a jacket then I left the house. I balled my hands up and shoved them into my pockets as I walked to Mason's house.

"Hey stranger." Mason greeted me as I walked up his driveway.

"You just saw me at school." I sat next to him on his front steps.

"How's your family?" He avoided looking at me.

"Fine, I guess." I shrugged and looked up at the night.

"Is your Dad still mad at me?" I barely heard him.

"He isn't mad at you." I looked back at him. "He's mad at me."

"It's my fault." He hung his head, and I laced our fingers together.

"It's your mom's fault." I told him. "She put bananas in the muffins and didn't tell you. I skipped school because that put you in the hospital. My Dad is mad at me for skipping school."

"Still-" He tried to put the blame on himself.

"Mason." I reached over and grabbed his jaw with my free hand. "You've done nothing wrong."

"I told Justin to flirt with you." He rushed out and looked ready to throw up.

"What?" I furrowed my brow as I tried to understand what he was saying.

"I told Justin to flirt with you." He pushed my hands away and scooted away from me. "It was stupid and a total fuckboy move-"

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because I..." He made a vague gesture after he abruptly trailed off. "I don't know."

"Bullshit." I tucked a leg under myself as I turned to look at him. "Why did you tell Justin to flirt with me? Why not one of the guys on the team?"

"Because I trust Justin and knew he wouldn't do anything stupid." Mason looked down at his hands.

"It made Hannah question if he still loved her." I leaned over and smacked the back of his head. "You, sir, are the definition of dumbass."

"I know." He buried his face in his hands. "I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking when I came up with the idea."

"How did you come with that stupid idea?" I asked him. "What was the outcome suppose to be?"

"I don't know?" He didn't remove his head from his hands. "I honestly have no idea why even Hannah thinks-"

"Hannah knew?" I frowned. She didn't tell me...

"Justin told her around the time he slept over." Mason ran his hands down his face and looked over at me. "She didn't tell you."

"She probably forgot." I shrugged. "It's not the first time we've kept things from each other."

"Do you hate me?" He asked after a few minutes of silence.

"No." I answered immediately. "I knew he wasn't serious about it, I thought it more of a he thought Hannah wasn't wanting to continue the relationship after high school or something."

"It was stupid." He laughed.

"Like failing U.S. History by less than a percent." I joked even though he passed this time.

"Same level just about." He smiled softly. "Can I tell you something?"

"Always." I bumped my knee against his before tucking my hands between my knees.