Chapter 47: Shut Up and Listen, Moron

It still ceases to amaze me how my entire high school life is ending today.

No more irritable teachers that slammed work on our desks; at least not for a couple months. No more petty bullshit from the head cheerleader because she can't stand to have someone competing against her. No more juvenile boys and trying to force them to understand how to treat a woman.

No more Dad hovering over our shoulders and watching our every move like a hawk.

We were finally going to be free from our father's constant watch and say over our lives; Hailey and I would finally have lives of our own.

Sitting on my bed in front of the mirror, my mind flickered to my twin and what she was doing. Was she putting makeup on and doing her hair? Preparing herself to put on our hideous gowns? Making out with Mason on his bed until they got an alert the graduation ceremony was in less than three hours?

"You contemplating life and all the decisions you made?" Johnny questioned from the doorway, a crooked smile playing on his lips. I could hear Justin and my father fighting in the foyer and was tempted to drag Johnny into the room and slam the door shut behind him to shut them up.

"You standing in the doorway and watching me like a creep?" I shot back, smiling. A genuine smile finally lit up his face as he walked in, dropping his arms to his sides.

"You know it." he winked.

Once he had sat beside me, I stared down at my hands, "I think we should wait."

"Wait? For what?" He looked so confused it was adorable.

"A real relationship, Johnny."

"Is it because Justin-"

"It has nothing to do with Justin, not really." I took his hand and laced my fingers through his, "It has to do with me not being ready to commit to another relationship. I think we should experience life a little more and if we still feel the same way in college, then we can date officially."

I expected him to explode, throw a fit as a response to my words. But he didn't. He stayed quiet for a while, his eyes searching mine.

"Okay." he nodded, "If you aren't ready for anything, I get it. I agree that we should see if the feelings stay when we go into UCLA with open arms."

"Thank you for understanding." I hugged him, resting my cheek against his chest. I could hear the quickening of his heartbeat at the closeness.

"'Course. It's what I'm here for. To support you."

*

"You nervous?" a familiar voice broke through my happy train of thought, draining it completely. I spun on my heel to face Justin, my heart sinking in my chest when I saw how devastated he looked.

His bloodshot eyes looked as if they had sunken into his head, his lips were chapped to a point where blood had started to break through the skin. His entire body was slouched, eyes on the Letterman draped over my shoulders. "Johnny's?"

"Mason's actually." I whispered, "No, I'm not nervous. I'm happy to finally be free from this place."

"Hannah-" he began, outstretching his hand.

"No, Justin. I'm not listening to your poor me bullshit and all your excuses. I love you, after almost seven years of knowing you, how can I not? But this is done, any sort of romantic relationship. If you want me in your life, then it's going to have to be as a friend."

I watched the hope in his eyes dissipate entirely.

"I love you too." he sighed, "I'm a dumbass."