Chapter 26: These Four Walls (Hannah)

I sat with Hailey in her room until she finally dozed off around eight.

I slipped out before Justin got home from work and Dad came home from wherever it was that he ran off too. By the time I pulled into the Mercy parking lot, I had thrown my hair into a loose bun and thrown Hailey's jacket on. The woman behind the front desk barely glanced in my direction once I got Mason's room number, her hands fumbling with stacks of paper littering the desk.

My heart sunk into my stomach when I stepped into the cold room, my eyes immediately fall on the still lump buried under his blanket, his head barely visible. I swallowed, bowing my head slightly as I took the vacant seat beside his bed.

"I'm sorry, Mase." I took his pale hand, "I was a bitch for the way I treated you. I get that you don't want to see her hurt." I caressed my thumb over the top of his hand.

"Hail?" a strained mumble left Mason's mouth as he lifted his head a fraction and turned to look at me. I felt warmth spread to my cheeks as I tried to find the words to tell him I wasn't my sister.

"I have to tell you something," He was on something, "I love you, Hailey. I hate it when you cry because I can't help you, I feel helpless. I love it when you smile and your eyes start to glisten with amusement. Or when you're embarrassed you'll hide your face against my shoulder and giggle nervously. I like it when you get mad because you look like a pissed off kitten. I love you, Hailey. No, I'm in love with you. And. . . and I don't want you to go to NYU."

I stared at him, dumbfounded, my heart pounding against my chest. He had finally done it, confessed, but it wasn't to the right twin.

"Mase, it's me. Han." I squeezed his arm, "The other, more obnoxious twin." I saw color starting to return to his face as he laid his head back down and sighed.

"Shit, " He muttered, "That means I'll have to say it again." I rubbed his hand, throwing a look at the door to make sure a nurse wasn't going to come in and drag me out since it was after visiting hours.

"She loves you too, Mason. I promise that once you say the words to her, she'll say them back. Let her know you don't want her to leave, tell her." He shut his eyes, his breathing quiet.

"You don't want her to leave either?" he guessed, sighing, "It took all these drugs for me to confess to her and it wasn't even her." I smiled sadly, giving him a look of encouragement.

"Think of it as practice. Now it won't be as hard to say it to her, right?"

*

I couldn't sleep alone that night. The second I walked back into the house, I knew that if I went to my room I'd be crying myself to sleep, and tossing and turning all night. I thought about going and sleeping in Hailey's room, but she was already asleep and sprawled out all over her bed. I hit the lights and shut the door gently out of habit, moving toward Justin's room down the hall. He was sitting up, wearing his glasses for the first time in years as he studied the textbook on his lap and scribbled down notes sloppily.

"Hey." he looked up with a smile, his eyes glistening behind his glasses.

"Hi." I whispered.

"How's he doing? Hailey told me what happened."

"He's okay. A little drugged up. We just talked for a while, until the nurse finally came and yanked me out of the room." I replied, slipping my hands into my pant pockets, leaning against the doorframe.

"Your dad still isn't home." Justin's voice was just as quiet as he set the books aside and gave me his full attention, "I made dinner for Hail and me, if you want some. I could-"