Chapter 40: Talk To You Later (Hailey)

"I hate that thing." Mason said when he entered our room.

"It's just a picture." I shook my head and went back to smoothing out the portrait. "It's not gonna eat you."

"It's still creepy as fuck." I heard him toss his duffle onto the floor before kicking his shoes off.

"It'll soon be gone." I reminded him. "The interview is in a few days."

"Not soon enough." A dresser drawer opened then closed.

"Taking a shower?" I asked him as I glued down the edges.

"Wanna join?" He asked for the millionth time.

"No." I answered for the millionth time.

This is how it's been for the last two and a half months. Mason asks if I want to join him in the shower or if he can join me in the shower, and I say no even though I want to say yes.

We're not dating therefore we can't shower together; I don't even go near the bathroom when he's showering just in case I'm in there when he's done.

But we've kissed once or twice or fifty times.

It's only ever on the mouth without wandering hands thankfully.

"Hailey." Mason snapped his fingers in my face.

"I'm not joining you in the shower." I told him.

"I know." He rolled his eyes. "I asked if I'm giving you a ride to your interview."

"Yeah, Hannah's working." I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "You're the best."

"I know." He pressed a kiss to my crown before leaving the room.

I bit my lip as I thought over everything that's happened between us.

Hannah was right about the whole if the room was a bed I would still sleep on top of Mason; not one night has gone by where we haven't fallen asleep tangled in each other and the sheets.

In a PG way.

Before I knew it I walking into the bathroom. "Mason, we need to talk."

"What the fuck, Hails!" Mason yelped and peeked around the shower curtain at me. "You want to talk now?"

"Sorry, did I interrupted you touching yourself in the shower again?" I raised an eyebrow.

"No." He shook his head and went back behind the curtain. "What's so important that you had to interrupt my shower?"

"Feelings." I looked down at my feet.

"Change your mind and joining me in the shower?" I heard his laugh over the water.

"No." I haven't, I want to join him but can't because we're not dating. "Like relationship feelings."

"Do I need to be dressed for this-"

"No." I shook my head wildly. "I, uh, don't want to look at you-"

"I feel like I should be offended by that." He laughed harder.

"Then you're gonna be super offended by what I have to say." I winced at what I had to tell him.

"Lay it on me."

"I don't know if I'm in love with you." I said slowly and shift my weight from foot to foot. "I know I love you platonically, but I don't know how deep my romantic feelings are."

"Because of the infatuation and love thing from Health?" He asked a few seconds later.

"Kinda." I rubbed my cheek. "And I don't know if living together is helping or not."