Chapter 6: Playing With Fire (Hannah)

"Why are you ignoring me?" Justin repeated for what seemed to be the millionth time. I tapped my foot impatiently against the wall, avoiding his eyes.

"Maybe because you're being a needy asshole." I snapped. He grabbed my wrist before I could pull away and stalk into the Gym.

"Han, what the hell is wrong with you?" I could hear anger finally beginning to edge its way into his voice.

"With me? Why don't you ask Hailey? She's obviously the one you're so concerned about." I tried to break his grip, but a small part of me didn't want to. I wanted to hear his response.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"Did you forget you share English with Hailey and Sophia? Do you think my best friend isn't going to tell me if she hears you saying shit?" He blinked a few times, either taken back by my response or trying to remember Sophia in the back of the classroom.

"Han, that wasn't-"

"It wasn't what? Why are you so concerned with my sister's life?" I ripped my arm from his grip.

"I was just curious, Han. It's not that big of a deal, don't make it one." I started to back away, catching the sight of Dad stepping out into the hallway just as the words left my mouth.

"You're a dick."

*

"Ouch! What the hell are you doing?" Hailey groaned, swatting my hand away as the bathroom door swung shut behind us.

"I need your help." I whispered, walking along the wall and checking to make sure we were alone.

"You could have just sent me a text. Why did you grab me by my ear?" She asked.

"Because you were too busy daydreaming over Mason to answer me." She mocked me for a moment before sighing and waiting for me to go on.

"Do you remember when we were in seventh grade and we decided to switch places for a week for a school project?" She nodded, her eyes slowly becoming narrow.

"Yeah."

"I want to do it again." She frowned.

"Why?"

"Sophia told me what Justin kept asking you. I. . .I want to see how he reacts when I'm you, you know what I mean?" I saw her flinch slightly.

"And I can help you move things along with Mason." I continued, "Please, Hails. I. . . I thought everything was okay with Justin, but if he's so obsessed with you and what you're doing, then maybe it's over." She sighed, her body slouching in defeat.

"What's your next class?" I squealed like a ten year old at a toy store and threw my arms around her, hugging her tightly.

"Bio." I smirked, "And we're going to need to switch clothes."

*

I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear as I took my seat beside Mason. He flashed me a crooked grin, which made a smile stretch across my face.

He thought I was Hailey. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised since we were identical and nobody would be able to tell the difference unless they knew us inside and out.

"What's up with the earrings, Hails? I thought you hated green." I felt my face flush at his words, my fingers clenching and unclenching on my lap.

"Hannah talked me into wearing them." I whispered. He quirked an eyebrow in my direction, his lips parting and then smacking back shut when the teacher walked in.