Chapter 1: First Day (Hailey)

"Hannah!" I knocked on our bathroom door. "Are you ready yet?"

"No!" She hollered. "Just give me a few more minutes."

"I'll be in my room." I told her before ducking back into my room to get my shoes.

I looked over at my window when I heard a tapping; It was Mason. I rolled my eyes and went to help him in.

I slid my window open and carefully popped the screen out. "We have a front door my dad would love you to use."

"Yeah, but this is more fun." He gave me a lopsided grin as he climbed into my room. "And I'm used to this."

"I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing." I shrugged and grabbed my flats from the bottom of my closet.

"It's a good thing." I heard him move around my room. "I don't have to wake your sister and dad when I need to come over at two in the morning."

"How are your parents?" I asked him.

"They're not fighting." He just shrugged and looked at the pictures hanging from wires on the wall across from my bed. "There's something I don't know if it is a good thing or bad thing."

"It's good." I crossed my arms over my chest and walked over to him. "They can't bring you into their arguments if they're not screaming."

"Yeah, but quiet houses are creepy." He sighed and turned to me. "So first day of Senior year, that's something to cross off your list."

"It's not." I told him as I grabbed the old polaroid camera from my desk.

"That's stupid." He stated bluntly.

"Not as stupid as failing U.S. History by less than a percent." I smiled at my best friend.

"Shut the fuck up." He groaned. "Give me your list."

"No!" My eyes widen in horror at the thought of Mason reading the silly list I made in eighth grade.

"Why not?" He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Because-" I was interrupted by Hannah coming out of the bathroom. "About time."

"Sorry, my hair wasn't wanting to listen today." She frozen when she saw Mason. "When did you get here?"

"Just a few minutes ago." He shrugged. "Hails let me in."

"Oh." She blinked then looked back at me. "Hailey, those straps aren't school appropriate."

"They're three fingers wide." I doubled check the straps of my dress. "Yeah, three fingers."

"I think she means they're not up to your Dad's standards." Mason said.

"Duh." I stepped towards Mason while Hannah went down the hall to the kitchen. "Give me your flannel."

"Hails, I don't do strip teases before noon." He danced away from me.

"Mason, it's just a flannel not your pants." I held out my hands. "Please?"

"You already stole half of my shirts." He pointed at one of his basketball shirts that was on top of my laundry basket.

"Borrowed." I corrected him. "You gave me permission."

"Yeah, to borrow them for when you sleep over and forget pajamas." He started unbuttoning his flannel shirt anyway.

"Thank you." I looked down at my camera and started messing with it, so I wouldn't drool over his chest. He didn't have a six pack or anyway but years of playing basketball definitely left him with muscle.