Chapter 33: The Happiest Place On Earth (Hailey)

I kept checking my texts to see if there was a new one in the group chat, but there weren't any.

"You're gonna burn your eyes, or have your fingers fall over." Mason said, and I glared at him through my eyelashes. He just winked and took a sip of his drink.

We were sitting in a booth at the Starbucks on Main Street in Disney waiting for the other three to meet up with us. Why are we meeting them? I wanted to go to Draw Off The Page, or Animation Academy according to Google, to do the drawings of different characters like Steamboat Minnie and Perry the Platypus. They wanted to go do Space Mountain and some other things.

So we agreed to spend the morning doing what we wanted individually and hang out as a group in the afternoon. They were currently ten minutes late.

"Hailey." Mason waved a hand in front of my face.

"Sorry, you were so boring I zoned out." I clicked my phone off and impatiently tapped my fingers on the tabletop.

"You were just staring off in space." He threw his crumpled straw paper at me. "Do you want to order now or wait?"

"I think Sophia said we were eating somewhere else." I shrugged. "I think it's in the New Orleans area? Near the Haunted Mansion."

"Yeah, I think-" Mason's phone buzzing cut him off. "One sec."

"Is it Walt?" I pulled my hair out of its ponytail and brushed it out with my fingers. It was surprisingly warm and not raining like usual winter weather in California.

"No." His brow furrowed as he read the text. "It's Sophia."

"Is everything okay?" I leaned forward in alarm.

"Yeah, she says to go ahead and eat because they got extra fast passes for Space Mountain." He replied to her before tossing his phone onto the table.

"So we walked all the way from California Adventure to be stood up?" I sighed out. "Great."

"I don't know about you, but I don't want to eat here." Mason gestured around the loud coffee store.

"Knowing them, they'll finish their ride then eat then go do whatever is next on their list." I told him as we got up and left the store. "Wanna go back to Adventure and eat at Flo's?"

"I was about to suggest that." He threw an arm around my shoulders and steered us towards the entrance.

*****

"What is that again?" I asked Mason as we sat down at a table in Flo's Cafe. "Not the pasta salad, the other thing."

"A turkey dip sandwich." He answered. "It's some kind of potato roll with provolone and turkey."

"Now I feel plain with my roast beef and cheddar sandwich." I laughed.

"Like you could ever be plain." Mason shook his head before taking a bit of his potato turkey thing.

"You've known me for over a decade." I reminded him. "I'm plain as can be."

"Hailey, you're the furthest thing from plain." He said right before stealing my strawberry shake and taking a sip.

"Excuse you." I took my drink back and started eating, starving since I've had little to eat.

"Why?" He looked at me.

"For taking my drink." I said with an eye roll.

"Oh yeah." He smiled and that was the end of our lunchtime conversation.