Chapter 23: Awkward, Morning & Night (Hailey)

"So I was thinking of reading through my old scripts and picking my favorite lines and put them on a board with a picture." I told Mason when he sat down next to me.

"I thought the one wasn't finished?" He picked up my finished script and flipped through it.

"It never will be because I was so focused on editing and making it perfect I tossed my outline in trash by mistake with the rewrites." I sighed and showed him the outline I made for my samples.

"How are you doing Unfinished Manuscripts?" He frowned as he tried to make sense of my sloppy outline.

"The Emerald Legend is going to be on one side, and Death of a Beauty Queen is gonna be on the other side." I explained. "I'm gonna get one of those boards that are white on both sides instead of the ones we use in school for presentations."

"Okay, it makes sense now." He nodded and scooted closer to me. "Want me to pick the lines, so you don't scream at the shitty writing?"

"You don't have to." I pulled my hair out of its ponytail, ran my fingers through it, and pulled it back up.

"I wanna help." He leaned over me and grabbed a highlighter. "After all, I'm making you apply."

"You're the bestest friend ever." I rolled my eyes.

"You love me." He nudged me with his elbow.

Before I could answer I heard a gasp from the doorway, and Mason and I jumped apart. Hannah and Sophia were staring at us as if we had three heads each.

"We weren't doing anything!" Mason shook his head and I started moving towards them when Sophia spoke up.

"Why not?" She was grinning ear to ear.

Mason answered before I could even think of a reply. "Because we're best friends, not fuck buddies."

I waved my arm towards him to let them know I agreed with him before closing the door again.

*****

"I'm getting the mail!" I yelled as I grabbed the mail key from the key rack.

"Okay." Dad said from the kitchen.

I walked down our driveway and to the corner where the stand thing of mailboxes for the block was at. I located our box easily since it was the top left one and grabbed all the mail inside before closing and locking it again. I flipped through the mail and pocketed everything that was for me.

"We got the key." I said to myself when I noticed the key for the larger box on the bottom; that means we were getting a box of some kind soon.

"Mail." I waved the mail around as I closed the door and put the mail keys on their hook. "We're getting a package soon."

"I ordered a couple of books off Amazon." Dad said as I tossed the mail onto the counter.

"Please tell me they have nothing to do with sex." Hannah begged as she began to look for her mail.

"Like he would tell us." I pulled out my pieces of mail and actually read who they were from. All the colleges I applied to.

Hannah and Dad were too busy arguing over what his books were about to notice me opening a shit ton of letters; I started from the bottom of my list and worked my way up to the college I wanted most.

Pratt-accepted.

Visual Arts-rejected.

Massachusetts-accepted.

Savannah-accepted.

CalArts-accepted.

USC-accepted.