Chapter 12: I Want It That Way (Hannah)

"It's so hot!" Hailey groaned, collapsing on the bench between us. Justin laughed from the other side of me, Soph looked ready to push Hailey onto the hard floor beneath our feet.

"It's because you're playing with Mason." I commented, "And playing with Mason gets you hot and bothered." My sister gave me such a dark look I was sure she was about to slap me. Thankfully Mason jogged over to us and patted her head like she was a Golden Retriever.

"I told her she wouldn't last, but she didn't listen." Mason sighed, crossing his arms over his chest to reveal the outline of his biceps. I saw Sophia's eyes widen, her lips parting. I looked away and at Justin, grinning.

"I want to play." I said, starting to push myself off his lap. He tugged me back down, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"The only guy you can play with is me." The dirty comment sent warmth through my cheeks as I kissed him gently and pried myself off of him.

"Banks! Toss it over here!" I slid out of my sweatshirt and tossed it back at Sophia and my sister, holding my hands out for the ball.

Mason was dribbling it back and forth between his hands, a taunting look on his face.

"Come and get it."

*

By the time we climbed into Mason's truck, I was drenched in sweat. Mason didn't look too much better, and considering my sister was in the seat beside him, I'm sure he was completely aware of it. I was just glad Justin had agreed to meet us there; I didn't want him anywhere near me when I was this sweaty.

"How's everything at home?" Hailey whispered, taking her eyes off her lap for a moment and glancing over at her best friend.

"It's fine, I guess. The same." He shrugged, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, "What are the chances of your dad letting me shower at your place?" I snickered, rubbing my forehead as I looked back and forth between them.

"That'll happen when hell freezes over." I responded,laughing. My sister smiled a little, but I could tell something was bugging her.

She had been quiet since I'd taken her position in playing basketball with Mason. Sophia had said it was probably just a passing thing, but I'd ask her about it the second we got home.

"So, Hannah." Mason sparked up a conversation when he realized Hailey didn't seem to be in the mood to talk. "You've got a nice body. Care to tell me if Hailey's is as great?" I didn't know whether to be flattered, offended, or disgusted, so I smacked his arm.

"Sorry, that was kind of a creep comment, wasn't it?" He was laughing quietly under his breath, letting me know just how apologetic he really felt about the question.

"When are you going to tell her?" I whispered, my eyes drifting toward my sister as she dozed off, her head bobbing slight against the dewy window.

"I don't know what you mean." He cleared his throat, "I already told her about the art galle-"

"Mason, you know what I mean." I flicked the side of his head.

"I don't." He looked irritated, his eyes now everywhere except me.

"Mason Adam Banks, stop being in such denial." I shook his shoulders, contemplating with the thought of banging his head against the seat. "You love her."

"Of course I love her."

"As more than a friend." I added, starting to get annoyed myself. He shifted the car into park once we were in the driveway, shaking his head.

"Just leave it alone, Hannah. Please." For a second, the tough goofball exterior broke and I saw Mason finally let his guard down.

He looked exhausted. His eyes were half shut, his cheeks flushed, even his hair was a mess. Somehow I knew it wasn't from the game of basketball we had just played.