Chapter 30: Gone, Gone, Gone (Hannah)

"What are you doing?" my boyfriend's voice broke through my quiet room. I stiffened, my hands clenching one of my bras in my hand.

"Hannah?" Justin's voice was closer now, wavering slightly.

"I just need some time alone." I responded without looking at him, "I'll be back on Friday for the trip." I felt his hands rest on my waist before he spun me around to face him.

"Why? Han, don't feel like you're alone in all of this. When you hurt, so do I. You-"

"Mason's gone." I cut him off, "He left a couple hours ago and Hailey locked herself in her room. My dad is going off the deep end, and you. . . Justin, I don't even know where you fit into all of this." He was shaking his head.

"Han, don't go. You-"

"She hates me and I'm a joke to everyone else." I whispered, throwing my hands up in exasperation.

"I don't think you're a joke." he touched my cheek, "Where are you going to go?"

I turned my head again, sighing as I zipped my duffel bag.

"I'll be back in a couple days." I kissed his gently, "Take care of Dad and Hailey."

I threw my bag over my shoulder and headed for the door, not making it too far before Justin's hand caught my wrist.

"Hannah, where are you going?" his dark eyes burned into mine.

"There, here, nowhere, everywhere." I answered.

"I'll come with you." he was shaking his head, as if hundreds of gears were turning in it, "We can go check out the campus."

I hugged him, resting my head against his chest with a nod. But there weren't any tears this time around, it was about time I ran out of them anyway.

*

I left breakfast for Dad in the fridge with a note, not specifying exactly where we were going and letting him know I'd call once we got there. Justin didn't really back anything except a couple shirts and jeans, and of course his Letterman. I'd be a little worried if he had left without it.

I fell asleep the second we were in his truck, drifting in and out for a few hours before I lifted my head to be blinded by the bright sunlight bleeding in through the windshield.

"Well, good morning, Sleeping Beauty." Justin was laughing, "Did you sleep well?"

"Shut up." I grumbled, reaching for my water bottle in the cup holder, "Where are we?"

"Don't know. Somewhere near UCLA." He shrugged, tapping the steering wheel, "It's beautiful out here."

I glanced out my own window instead of responding, my lips parting in surprise as I watched the green around us rush by in a blur.

"I want to live out here." He went on when I didn't say anything, "In a house with a perfect sized yard for our Golden Retriever and kids to play in."

"Getting a little ahead of yourself now, aren't you?" I replied, laughing quietly. He nodded, a quick look in my direction was followed by a smile.

"I just want to get away from them as quick as possible. You know what I mean?" he questioned, letting out a loud sigh.

I nodded, reaching over to lay my hand on his thigh, "Yeah. I'm really starting to now, Justin. I. . . it feels like everyone's drifting away."

"This is about Hailey." He guessed, but it wasn't a question really, more of a statement.