Chapter 9: Young and Reckless (Hailey)

"Hey." I greeted Mason Monday morning.

He stood up and stretch his arms out. "I deserve it."

I stepped onto the table bench and slapped him across the right side of his face then I slapped him again across the left side.

"You good?" He asked me.

"Yes." We sat down and I instantly started filling the silence. "Let's do it tonight. Dad's team is playing their rivals."

"Do what?" He looked over at me, and I nearly laughed at the sight of the two red handprints.

"What we were talking about the other week." I mentally face palmed myself at that vague statement. "The thing with your Mom's listings."

"Oh!" He nodded in understanding. "Okay, is Hannah gonna be home tonight?"

"It doesn't matter." I pulled out my notes for English.

"Won't she say something to your dad?" He watched me flipped through my notebook.

"She promised she wouldn't say anything if I snuck out." I lied. "Payment for letting her use my phone to text Justin."

"Why did she use your phone for that?" He bumped his knee against mine.

"Hers was dying, and Dad texts us both when we go out." I told him as I read my notes.

"Okay." I saw him go through his bag.

"And that'll be the only time you'll ever see a Jacobs girl in lingerie." I warned him.

"I deleted the messages anyway." He waved me off.

"Okay." I said quietly and stared down at my notes. Did he delete it because he didn't want that kind of picture of Hannah on his phone or because he didn't that kind of picture of me on his phone?

*****

"Shit, why didn't I do laundry yesterday?" I muttered to myself as I dug around through my underwear basket in my closet.

"Because we spent nearly the whole day at the mall." Hannah said from my doorway. "What are you doing?"

"Getting my outfit for tomorrow ready." I lied.

"Oh, why don't you just put out something you got from Victoria's yesterday?" She suggested and I glared at her.

"I'm not wearing lingerie." I told her even though she didn't know why I was against the idea.

"No one will know." She laughed and shook her head. "I do it all the time."

"Mason will know, okay." I stood up and groaned. "This wouldn't be that bad if I hadn't spilled my drink at dinner."

"Hails, no one will notice if you're wearing lingerie or a stained bra." She rubbed my shoulder. "Not even Mason."

He will notice because he's gonna be seeing me in my underwear, I thought. "Good thing I got that grey set."

"Yup." She smiled and started walking out of my room. "You gonna watch the game with us?"

"No, I'm gonna study for my English quiz then read a Tess Oliver book." I felt bad about lying to my twin and best friend, but I couldn't tell her the truth. She would tease me about it even after death.

"Okay, love you." She closed my door.

"I love you too." I called out after her before stripping out of my tee shirt and jeans, so I could change into the only clean bra and underwear I had; well I had the other set I got at Victoria's, but I wasn't going to wear a red lace lingerie set with a push up bra around Mason. He would die of laughter if he ever saw me in that.