Chapter 25: Empty Halls and White Walls (Hailey)

I never said anything about what Hannah said to me when she was drunk because it's true.

I let our mother ruin my life and happiness, but it's hard to be pretend like I don't know why she left, why she isn't coming back. Before I even know it it's Finals week and Christmas is right around the corner.

"Mason, where are you?" I asked myself as I waited for him to show up.

We were suppose to meet up before school to go over the finals for U.S. History and English, but he was late which is unusual.

Suddenly my phone started buzzing, and it was Faith calling me instead of Mason. I frowned as I answered the Banks' housekeeper's call.

"Hey, Faith." I tapped my pencil against the table top.

"Mason's in the hospital." She had been crying, and my body went cold.

"Why? Is he okay?" I tucked my phone between my ear and shoulder then started shoving my things into my bag.

"I came over with groceries because Mr. Banks forgot to get some again, and he was laying on the kitchen floor and not moving." Faith cried. "I called the police, and they let me ride with him."

"Where are his parents?" I tossed my bag onto my other shoulder and held my phone to my ear as I ran. "Which hospital?"

"I don't know." She answered my first question. "Mercy on Franklin."

Shit, that was nearly five miles on foot. "I'll be there soon, and call Walt if they don't pick up."

I shoved my phone into my back pocket and thought about what to do. Dad drove me to school today, and Hannah and Justin weren't here yet; no way would Dad drive me.

"Fuck it." I said before I started running to Mercy Hospital.

*****

Fifteen calls.

The hospital called his parents fifteen times.

Each.

Walt picked up on the second ring because he was topping off his gas, and said he would make the two reminding hours in one.

Right now I was pacing the waiting room about to tear my hair out while Faith prayed quietly in her seat.

"Hailey!" Walt yelled when he came in through the door.

"Walt." I rushed to him and threw my arms around his neck. "They can't tell us anything because we're not family."

"Where's my sister and Josh?" He asked after pulling away.

I just shrugged. "The calls keep going to voicemail."

"Oh my God." Walt rubbed his face. "Do you know what happened?"

"Faith found him lying on the kitchen floor not moving and barely breathing." I could feel my eyes watering again for the hundredth time. "Oh God, what if he dies?"

"He's not gonna die." Walt cupped my face. "He's not, okay? Mason doesn't know how to give up."

"Faith found a partially eaten muffin by him." I swallowed the lump in my throat. "What if it had bananas in it?"

"Then the doctors will get it out." Walt pulled me into another hug. "Do your Dad or Hannah know you're here?"

"I haven't called or texted them yet." I whispered. "Mason's been in surgery for over an hour."

"Come on." He led me over to Faith; Walt held both of our hands and prayed along with Faith while I begged in my mind for whatever controls whether us live or die to not take Mason.