Chapter 2: Cake By The Ocean (Hannah)

"I love you." Justin whispered, pressing me back against my locker with a smirk.

"I love you more." I replied.

"And I'm going to puke." Sophia groaned a few feet away, making gagging sounds. After a moment of hesitation, Justin kissed me and pushed himself from the lockers, throwing a wink Soph's way.

"You two are like. . . like. . ."

"Perfect? I know!" I joked, looping my arm through hers and winked. She forced out another disgusted grunt as we headed for my dad's classroom; aka The Gym.

It was bad enough having to be in here for PE, where the aroma made everyone a little dizzy and disoriented. Having to be in the same place twice, was disgusting.

"Hannah!" Miranda Park greeted with a wave, earning a surprised look out of Soph and I both.

"Come sit over here!" She made a gesture to where she sat on the bleachers, patting the empty spot beside her. Sophia and I exchanged a look before shrugging and joining her, having to climb over my sister and Mason on the way.

"You look amazing!" She exclaimed, as perky as usual. Being at almost every pep rally for four years must have started to take a toll on her sanity.

"Thanks." I felt Sophia give my hand a worried squeeze. I shrugged, turning my attention to the old chalkboard in front of us. It looked as if it had been pulled out of the early 2000's and rolled in here for some sort of play that the theatre kids were putting together.

"So, you aren't going to believe this, but Micky and and I were talking and she thinks you'd be perfect for the squad. Lynn Coleman moved away over the summer, so there's a spot open and it has your name written all over it."

I had to blink a few times to comprehend what she had said. Miranda Park and Michaela Thompson wanted me on the cheer squad? Had Micky died and come back a completely different person?

"Is that some sort of joke?" I responded after a second, feeling my sister's eyes on me from below us.

"No, no. You know me, Hannah! We've known each other since first grade. I'd never lie." I nodded slowly, feeling as if my friends and sister were pushing down on my shoulders with so much pressure that they might break.

"Can I think about it and get back to you?" I questioned. Miranda giggled, nodding.

"Of course." Before we could go on, my dad stalked into the room, fixing quite possibly the ugliest tie I'd ever seen in my life.

He looked as if he'd taken a course in fashion with Bill Nye as the teacher. His graying hair was slicked back, his thick glasses askew on his nose. His clothes made me wish I'd stayed home to help him sort through them for something different. He was wearing a pair of black slacks and a sweater vest that had strange looking polka-dots all over it.

I groaned, burying my face against my best friend's shoulder as she shook with laughter.

"Dad, what are you wearing?" Hailey mumbled from the first bleacher, her head shaking in disapproval. Dad shook his head, waving his finger in her face like he was scolding a puppy.

"Mr. Jacobs." He corrected. My sister rolled her eyes, but Mason looked incredibly amused beside her. I flicked the back of his head and gave him a dark look.

"Alright, who's ready to have some fun?" I buried my face in my hands as he began his lecture, beyond relieved when I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

I pulled it out and read it, covering my mouth to keep from laughing when I read the text from Justin.

"Is there something you'd like to share with the rest of the class, Hannah?" Dad crossed his arms over his chest, giving me a stern look. I glanced around the room, feeling warmth spread through my cheeks when I saw everyone's eyes on me.