Chapter 13: Just One Yesterday (Hailey)

"I hate you and never want to speak to you again." I told Mason as I tried to unlock the locker in front of me with one hand.

"That's overdramatic." His voice was laced with static.

"Are you going through a tunnel?" I asked him.

"No, my phone is just shit." He said.

"Fuck." My hand slipped and got banged against the metal door of the locker. "Ow."

"I haven't been gone for an hour, and you're already in pain." Mason laughed as he teased me.

"I hate you." I placed my phone on the ground and unlocked the stupid metal piece of shit.

"-weekend." I caught the last word of his sentence when I put my phone back against my ear.

"Repeat that because I wasn't listening." I sighed as I stared at the mess that was Mason's locker. "You need to organize this shit."

"What?" He asked before realizing what was going on. "Why are you going through my locker? How do you have my combination?"

"I said can you repeat what you said about the weekend because I wasn't listening." I started cleaning up his locker. "I'm going through your locker because neither I or Hannah have clean shirts in our lockers, and I don't know Soph's combination."

"How do you know mine?" He sounded a little worried. "And I asked if you wanted to come over this weekend since my Mom has open houses all weekend."

"Sure." I stacked his textbooks on the ground and started grabbing his notebooks and binders. "I know your combination because you wrote it over and over in my math notebook freshman year."

"Oh shit, I did." He was silent for a few seconds as he spoke to someone on his end. "Why are you going through my locker for clean clothes?"

"Because I'm stupid." I picked up a piece of crumbled paper and read it. "I found your railroad essay from last year."

"How are you stupid?" He laughed. "You have all A's and B's."

"I spilled juice on my shirt." I grabbed his team sweatshirt and dropped it on my backpack. "And Dad would murder me if I ran home to change."

"He wouldn't murder you." Mason's voice still had laughter in it. "He would just accuse you of trying to get dick."

"That's worse than anything he's ever said." I shook my head at Mason's second statement. "Please don't ever say anything like that again."

"Fine, why don't you have sweater?" His voice sounded a little quiet, like he was talking away from his phone. "It's November."

"Because it's California, Mason." I told him as I replaced his things in order of class. "Eighty is as cold as it gets."

"It's supposed to rain later." He reminded me. "Shut up, Johnny."

"What did Johnny do now?" I asked him as I closed his locker and picked my things up.

"Being an ass like always." A different voice answered.

"Carter?" I asked.

"Hey, Jacobs." Carter's sunny voice made me smile.

"Did you steal Mason's phone again?" I asked the basketball player as I walked to the closest bathroom to change.

"He handed it to me." Carter sounded a little confused because it's unheard of for Mason to hand anyone his phone. "Johnny keeps talking shit, so Mason and a few others are smacking him."