Chapter 35: The Devil's Tale (Hannah)

"Hailey! Hannah! School!"

I finished stuffing my crumbled homework into my hot pink, Hello Kitty decorated backpack before darting toward the door.

"Han-"

"I'm coming, Mom!" I screamed in frustration. If she yelled my name one more time I'd probably go insane.

"You look adorable!" Dad said with a goofy grin, kissing my forehead before leaning back against the round kitchen table and sipping out of his Snoopy mug.

Adorable wasn't exactly the look I was going for. It was just another day to them, it would play out with the exact same routine. For me, it was going to be the best day of my life. I was going to finally approach Justin Davidson, the guy that had just joined the basketball team with Mason.

It would be perfect. He'd be surprised by my sudden interest in him, would then take intrest in me, then we'd start dating through the rest of junior high and into high school. We'd be high school sweethearts and it would just be a perfect life after that.

"Hailey! Two minutes!" Mom shouted, irritation clear in her emerald eyes. She was a punctual person, always everyone exactly on time, right on the second. I suppose it was something I had inherited from her, one of the only things besides her looks.

"Sorry, I was. . . why do you look like Veronica Winters?" Hailey stopped dead in her tracks in the middle of the hall, her eyes lingering on me longer than they should of.

We usually dressed the same, did our hair the same; we were just the same. At least we had been through all of elementary school. Before being boy crazy had hit me like a mack truck and left Hailey awkward around guys.

I had taken some of Mom's make-up, with her knowledge of course, and took over an hour to put it on without looking like a clown. I had also grabbed one of my tighter shirts, despite my boobs not even growing in yet, and a pair of skinny jeans. I didn't look anything like the Queen Bee, and it actually kind of hurt that my sister thought I did.

"Let's go, girls. Mason is waiting outside." Hailey momentarily forgot about me at the mention of our best friend's name. When we stepped outside, Mason immediately yanked me into a tight hug, before taking my face in his hands and inspecting me.

Of course puberty had hit him early and done him well. He had grown a few inches in the last year and had filled out pretty well.

"You look nice." he commented, a crooked smile on his face, "Are you getting all dressed up for someone in particular?" he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. I flicked his nose, flipping my straightened hair over my shoulder.

"Maybe. Wouldn't you like to know, Mase?"

*

By the time lunch time came around, I was already mentally prepared to walk up and approach Justin Davidson.

"You girls be good, behave yourselves, and make sure to keep Mason out of trouble. I love you girls." Mom had said, pointing her finger at the three of us in back accusingly. We had all rolled our eyes and nodded.

"Love you too, Mom!" even Mason had responded with the same thing.

Standing in the middle of the hall, I could feel my hand trembling at my side. Justin wasn't even thirty feet away, and he was looking at me. Me. Hannah Jacobs.