Chapter 8: Little Things, Big Problems (Hannah)

I fought the incredibly strong urge to turn off my phone.

Justin had been texting me off and on for the last two hours, prompting me to call or at the very least text him. It was honestly the last thing I wanted to do on a day that was supposed to be spent with my best friend and sister.

"Han?" Sophia tapped on my dressing room door gently. I opened him, frowning when I saw the worried look on her face.

"Yeah?"

"I think Hailey's crying. She won't come out of the dressing room." I frowned, feeling my eyebrows drawing in confusion as I gathered my things in my arms and headed out of the room. After handing my stuff over to Sophia to go pay for, I walked over to the room I'd seen my sister go into and rapped at the door.

"Hails, it's Hannah. Everything okay in there?" She didn't respond for a few seconds.

"I wanna get swallowed into a giant hole in the ground." She responded, sounding as if she had been crying for hours.

"Let me in."

"No. I'm hideous." She grumbled.

"I've seen you worse. Let me in before I crawl under the door." After a few seconds of silence, I heard the sound of the door clicking and it swung open. I slipped in, locking it behind me as I looked down at my sister.

She looked like she had been kicked, which sent my mind into automatic autopilot.

"Mason?" I breathed out, "What happened? Is he okay?" She shrugged, hugging her legs against her chest as I crouched down beside her.

"Hails,what's wrong?" She sniffled, and shoved her phone into my hand. I was immediately greeted with the sight of a half naked picture of her.

"You didn't." I leaned back and shut my eyes, secondhand embarrassment flooding through me.

"He kept asking why Justin was asking weird questions and I. . . I did it as a heat of the moment thing. Oh God, what did I just do?" I gave her a long look before starting to add to the picture, my fingers dancing across her keyboard without even thinking about what I was saying.

"What are you doing, Hannah?" She whispered.

"I'm saving your ass from humiliation. We're twins, remember?" I showed her the text I had sent to Mason, explaining that the picture was of me and had been meant to be sent to Justin.

"Thank you." She leaned against me, her face buried against my chest. I smiled, rubbing her shoulder comfortingly as I stared at the black door in front of me blankly.

"Anytime, Hails. It's what sisters are for."

*

I was taking my mid-afternoon Saturday nap when someone decided ringing my doorbell repeatedly was a fun new app that they couldn't get enough of.

"Hailey!" I yelled, then yawned, "Get the door!"

When I got no answer, I dragged myself across the room and opened the door with an annoyed look.

I shouldn't have been surprised to find Justin standing on my front porch, considering I'd been avoiding him for the last two days. But I was, especially since he looked as if he'd just been hit by a bus.

"Hi." I rested my head against the door, yawning again.

"Hi? Seriously? That's all you have to say? I've been trying to get a hold of you for two fucking days, Hannah." I shrugged, making a gesture over my shoulder.

"Why didn't you just ask Hailey what we were doing? It seemed like you're pretty involved in her life now."

"Stop that." He snapped.