Chapter 17: Life Is A Highway (Hannah)

"So, what's the story?" Mason questioned from the passenger's seat, his head whipping back so he had a full view of Hailey and me in back.

She was still shaking with shock, her entire body trembling against mine. Mason's smile faded when he saw the state she was in and he leaned over to whisper something to Justin. A few minutes later the car pulled off to the side of the highway and Justin shifted his body to look back at me.

"You okay?" He asked, worried.

"I'm fine," I muttered, then gestured toward Hailey with her head against the window beside me, "I don't think I can say the same about her."

Mason climbed out of the car with a sigh, climbing into back beside me a few seconds later.

"Go sit in front." He said, his eyes on my sister over my shoulder. I nodded and stepped out of the car, shutting the back door behind me. Justin didn't say anything until I had my seatbelt on and we were driving again, his hand finding my on my lap.

"What happened? Why is she so freaked out?" I shook my head.

"We were driving, she was doing a good job. Then. . . I. . . I don't know. I must have said something that triggered memories about Mom or something because she lost control of the car." I let out a shaky breath, "It's my fault. I'm telling Dad it was my fault. I shouldn't have taken her to drive in the first place."

"Han, it's not your fault. I'm just glad you're both okay." He brushed his thumb over my knuckles, slowing the car as we took the ramp off the highway, his body relaxing against the seat again.

"Dad's going to kill us." I reached up and wiped at my damp cheeks, "That was Mom's car, that-"

"He'll be more concerned with you two being safe to care about a stupid car, Hannah." Justin assured me.

"No, no. You don't understand, Justin. That was the car Mom brought us home in, the car they came home from their honeymoon in. Hell, it's probably the car they conceived us in." He squeezed my hand, offering me a tight smile.

"I'll be there with you, if you need me to take the blame I will, babe. If you need me to pay for the car to be fixed, I will. I just want you happy." I laid my head back against the seat and nodded.

"You don't have to do that. It was my mistake, I'll take care of it." He let the conversation go, obviously not in the mood to fight me until I gave in. He kept his eyes on the road, his fingers tapping the wheel anxiously.

I let my eyes drift to the back, a small smile making it's way to my face at the scene. Mason had pried my sister from the window and held her tightly in his arms, hugging her against his chest. She was still shaken, her body still slightly trembling, but she seemed to have calmed down and appeared to be dozing off.

I had known what triggered in Hailey's head, I knew what I had said wrong. I was just too scared to say it again.

*

"I'm sick and tired of you thinking you can do whatever you want, Hannah! You're grounded." I threw my hands in the air in exasperation, but didn't fight my father. I deserved it.

"Mr. Jacobs-" Justin started.

"You don't even think about starting. You're the reason my daughter has been acting out, kid. She would never-"

"Don't throw the blame on me! With all do respect, sir, you're hard on both of them." Justin gestured toward me, then down the hall to Hailey's room. "Neither one of them has ever done something bad enough for you to treat them the way you do." My dad's eye and jaw twitched, and I swear he was seconds away from blowing a blood vessel.