Chapter 3: Stay With Me (Hailey)

Why did I agree to tell Mason I have a crush on him? The question kept running through my mind that night after Hannah and my dad fell asleep.

"I'm such an idiot." I tossed my comforter back and got out of bed. "Can't believe Hannah is gonna get laid after I totally ruin my friendship with Mason."

I walked down to the kitchen, got a glass of water, drank it, went back to my room, and nearly had a heart attack.

"Mason!" I quickly closed my door then walked to my best friend who was sitting on my bed. "What's going on?"

"Turns out I can pop your screen off from the outside." He nodded towards my now screenless window.

"Are they fighting again?" I sat next to him and laid my head on his shoulder.

"I swear to God they're one fight away from throwing things." He laid his head on mine. "Turns out my Dad is still talking to his girlfriend."

"The same one he was gonna leave your mom for?" I pushed him until he was laying down.

"The one and only." He sighed and pulled me down next him; I instantly curled up against him with my head on his chest. "My mom found emails between them about wanting to start a family."

"Your dad is shitty." I exhaled and listened his heartbeat.

"If my dad is shitty then what does that make my mom?" He started tracing patterns on my back.

"The definition of motherfucking bitch?" I tilted my head back to look at him.

"Language, Jacobs." He pressed a kiss to my forehead, and I felt my heart skip a beat despite the reason why he was here.

"You're worse then me." I frowned. "So don't..."

"Forgot your comeback?" He had to cover his mouth, so Dad and Hannah didn't hear him laugh.

"Shut up." I turned away from and closed my eyes. "Night."

"No, I wanna talk." I felt him wrap an arm around my waist. "How do you think humans are still here?"

"Evolution and the fact nothing has been able to wipe us out like the dinosaurs." I mumbled.

"Yeah, but we survived plagues, volcanoes, hurricanes, wars, earthquakes, and our own stupidity." He continued talking. "We can walk on broken bones or cut limbs off and be fine, but most creatures would die from shock alone."

"You sound like those Earth is Space Australia posts on Tumblr." I told him.

"I was reading some before my parents started screaming." He somehow pulled me closer, our legs getting tangled in each other and my sheets.

"Hmm." I continued to listen to him talk because I knew it was keeping his mind off his parents.

"Hey, Mase." I cut him off and turned back to face him.

"Hm?" He looked ready to pass out.

"Why haven't you gone to live with your uncle?" It was something that has been bugging me ever since I heard his uncle offer it to him over the Fourth of July nearly three years ago.

"What?" His brow furrowed as he tried to understand my question.

"It's just..." I sighed and started again. "We both know your mom only got pregnant with you to keep your dad from leaving her, and your dad has straight up told you he's only sticking around now because you could be the next big thing in basketball. So why haven't you gone to live with the only family member of yours that gives a shit about you?"