waiting for their own-part two // gatty (george and matty)

🌸 via polished07 on ao3 !!

🌻 I realized that it never posted the full thing so here is the rest of the previous chapter !! and I'm updating one more as well :)

//

His mother smiled again, and George’s father stood to refill everyone’s wine glasses. “A toast,” he proposed, “to Matty, George, and their daughter,” he said as he raised his glass. All four of them raised their glasses as well, gently clinking them together and then taking a sip.

Matty and George exchanged a glance as they drank, their expressions easy to read by each other.

“You know,” Barbara said, “I remember when your sister told me she was expecting Lucie…” and she continued with the story, reminiscing at the arrival of her first granddaughter the year prior. Matty and George politely sat through the story, even though they had heard it a thousand times before. George’s mother loved her grandchild to pieces.

As she talked, Matty daydreamed about the day when his own daughter would be the subject of happy stories such as this one, and squeezed George’s hand under the table.

.:.

“Okay, what about Jocelyn?” Matty asked, peering up at George over his reading glasses. It was a Tuesday night, right before they went to sleep, and Matty sat in his pajamas in their large king bed and read from the book of baby names they had bought online the week before.

George shook his head from the bathroom where he brushed his teeth. He too was in his pajamas, although his had more cloth to them than Matty’s. George liked sleeping in his plaid pants, unlike Matty, who usually just slept naked. Tonight was a rare occasion where Matty wore a large old t-shirt to bed.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Matty said as he ran his finger further down the list and said the names in his head. “Josephine?”

George shrugged, and spit his mouthful of toothpaste into the sink. “Too long, she already has the last name of Healy-Daniel.” He turned on the tap to rinse his mouth.

“True,” he said, “but I don’t want her to have a really short name either, you know?” He messed his hair up as he continued to read.

George wiped his mouth on his hand towel before turning to leave the bathroom, flicking the light switch off as he went. He watched Matty, who was so focused on the book that a small crease had formed between his eyebrows, as it did when he was really close to a deadline and wasn’t finished writing yet.

When George climbed into bed, he slid over next to Matty, and then gently pressed the pad of his finger between Matty’s brows. He felt the crease relax beneath his touch. “You haven’t stopped reading that book since it came in the mail today,” he observed.

Matty didn’t lift his eyes from the page. “This is important, George.”

George moved his hand down Matty’s chest. “We have some time to figure it out, love.” He toyed with the hem of Matty’s shirt.

Matty folded down the corner of the page and closed the book, setting it on his chest. “We only have three months.”

George pressed his lips to the side of his shoulder, just where his t-shirt ended and his skin was exposed. “That’s a lot of time,” he said softly. “Don’t stress about it yet, okay? You’re already tense,” he kissed up Matty’s shoulder and across his collarbone, shifting his weight more towards Matty’s center.

“Are you going to relax me?” Matty asked with a chuckle, pushing the book to the side as George climbed on top of him.

“If you’ll let me,” George said softly against his neck, “I intend to.”