don't call it a fight when you know it's a war // matty ((part two))

- via imaginemattyhealy on tumblr!!

//

The short journey back was tense. 
He wouldn’t speak, wouldn’t even look at me. He held me against his body slightly tighter than necessary when carrying me to the car, and I couldn’t figure if it his embrace was protective or angry. When I reached the car he roughly pushed me into the passenger seat, no empathy for my sore ankle. 
Again, he wouldn’t look at me. 
As I drove in silence, I couldn’t help my thoughts drifting onto what the blonde was doing now. I felt incredibly guilty, and also scared that someone may have seen Matty. Images of his beaten body being found by passers by flashed through my head, followed by scenes of Matt being charged for assault. The media would go crazy for a story like that, and I could just imagine the headlines. 

His jaw was clenched tight, as though he was fighting back a million things to say. His eyes glared at the road ahead, knuckles turning white against the steering wheel. 
‘Matty…’ I tried to break the silence, voice coming out croaky.
He remained still, silent, as though he hadn’t heard me. I felt the car beginning to go faster, the sickly feeling returning to my stomach as I stared out of the window. I was driving down a familiar country lane. It was deserted, typical for one in the morning, and the way the headlights of the car illuminated the trees and foliage surrounding the slender road creeped me out. 
The car continued to go faster, forcing my back into my seat with the pressure. I knew this road was a 30mph zone, and I couldn’t help my eyes flickering to the speed meter near the steering wheel. 
70mph. 
‘FUCKING SLOW DOWN,’ I screamed, eyes widening. 
Again, Matty didn’t move. I felt like crying, everything tonight had gone so horribly wrong, and I didn’t want to end it with a car crash. 
“MATT, FOR FUCKS SAKE JUST SLOW DOWN, YOU’RE SCARING ME.”
A subtle smirk formed on his lips, foot pressing further down on the accelerator. 
More speed.
My vision blurred, and I blinked away the tears that fogged up my vision. Pain shot up from my injured ankle and I felt hopeless and out of control. 
I didn’t want to look at him. My image of him had been changed so drastically tonight, he felt like a different person. I didn’t recognise the man next to me, and every fibre of my being ached for the awkward young man I’d met in high school. 
The real Matty. 
Suddenly, as though he could read my thoughts, I felt the car slow down. Relief washed over me, but I didn’t utter a word to him, didn’t look at him. I didn’t need to, it was obvious how angry he was. 
I couldn’t even be bothered to rack my brain for a reason for his anger anymore. Instead, I closed my eyes and tried to diminish all my thoughts as the darkness engulfed me. 
I didn’t know how long I was asleep, but my awakening was rough. The sound of a car door slamming caused my eyes to bolt open. I remained confused for a few seconds, goosebumps rising on my arms as the cold swept over my skin. 
I noticed Matty walking around the front of the car, and realised it was his door slamming shut that had woken me up. He clenched his car keys in his hands, face like thunder and eyes still burning with anger and aggression. 
My stomach flipped, wary of him, as he reached down to open my door. He stood straight back up afterwards, crossing his arms and looking disinterested in me. 
I sat still for a moment, waiting for him to help me out of the car. 
“Get out.” He demanded, voice low and gruff. 
I awkwardly twisted in my seat, pulling my dress down and lifting my sore ankle as I tried to hobble to my feet. I held onto the car for support. 
When I was out of the car, struggling to close the door behind me, I stared at him. He glared me up and down, but didn’t say anything. 
“Can I lean on you, I can’t-”
He cut me off. “No. No, you can’t.”
I stared at him, puzzled. I only just noticed I was at his block of flats, not my house. I wondered why he’d taken me here when he obviously didn’t want to speak to me.
He turned and walked into his apartment building, not giving me a second glance. 
I stared after him, shocked beyond belief. At least he’d carried me to the car before. I didn’t know what to do, it was few metres to the building, and once inside I could use the walls to lean on. 
Hang on, did he even want me in his apartment? Was he expecting me to walk home?
I sighed, running a hand through my hair and pulling it in frustration. I suddenly took a deep breath and pushed away from the car, using the momentum of the push to send me forwards as I hopped towards the building. However, I lost balance just before reaching the door and fell forwards. 
The gravel scraped my knees, but luckily my bad ankle didn’t make contact with the ground, managing to stay in the air the whole time. Tears again prickled my eyes. I couldn’t believe he’d leave me to struggle like this, he was usually such a gentleman. 
Wiping my eyes and examining the scraped skin on the palms on my hands and knees, I pulled my dress down and began to shuffle on my bum towards the door. I hoped no one could see me, the action of literally crawling back to Matty felt degrading.
After a struggle to open the heavy door and a softer journey down the lobby to the lift, I stretched up to press the summoning button. 
As the doors pinged open, I shuffled in. Reaching up again and pressing the button for the top floor, I thanked the heavens that the elevator was working and I didn’t have to use the stairs. 
I didn’t know what I was going to say to Matt when I got to his flat, no idea at all. But his behaviour tonight had been extreme, and I needed some sort of explanation for it. 
The doors opened sooner than I’d have liked, and I crawled into the familiar hallway. I didn’t want Matt to see me on all fours trying to reach his apartment, so I took a few moments to stumble against the wall and stand up again. 
When I looked back towards the door, it was open. Matt stood leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed as he stared into me. A cigarette rested between his lips, smoke working to partly conceal his face. 
“You’re a good actress.” He rasped, eyes travelling up and down my body.
I didn’t move, back to the wall for support, and eyes staring angrily at him. 
“What are you on about?” I snapped, my emotions catching up with him. 
He chuckled, wedging the cigarette between two lengthly fingers as he pulled it out. He smoothly began making his way over towards me, everything about him intimidating me. 
“That ankle,” he scoffed, another smirk dancing around his lips.
I pushed myself as far into the wall as possible, feeling almost scared as he approached.
“What about it?” I asked, voice becoming quieter as he approached. 
I looked down, his dark skinny jeans coming into my view as he pressed his body up against mine. His scent filled my lungs. His arms rested on the walls beside me, trapping me between him, cigarette still in hand. I looked up at him, face inches from his. The usually kind brown eyes were domineering now, taunting even. 
“I can see there’s nothing wrong with it, sweetheart,” he smiled, and I felt his foot gently kick at my bad foot. I gasped as pain shot up my leg, and his grin widened slightly. 
“Drop the act” he demanded, breath tingling on my lips, “it’s lovely, really, but you’ve been caught out.” He paused again. “You just wanted that guy to touch you, didn’t you? You’re such a little slut, I bet you begged him for it.”
I shook my head, feeling my eyes water for the umpteenth time that evening. 
“What the fuck has got into you?” I shook my head.
“I bet that bloke wanted to get into you.”
His eyes stared straight into me own, and I could smell that foul cigarette in his hand. I felt his other hand grab my upper arm, now pinning me against the wall.
“Let go of me.” I snarled.
His grip tightened on my arm, and a perverse glint twinkled in his eye. 
“I’ll do whatever the fuck I want with you.” He rasped. 
“No you won’t.” I tried to radiate dominance, but failed miserably. 
He chuckled dryly, not a glimpse of humour in his eyes. 
“Is that right?” He asked. “We’re on the top floor. No one would hear your screams. I could do anything.”
I gulped at the truthfulness in his words. My head spun, the close proximity to him making me feel faint. His hand slowly started to pull me away from the wall, all the while keeping my face close to his. 
“You’ll do what I say, and I’m telling you to get in my apartment now.”