Good Night pt. 2

One year ago...

Handong

It was a hot summer.

The Sun heats up the atmosphere. Green trees formed thick line as the taxi that I'm riding passed the road. My hands are holding the doll I made after finishing it in a week.

I noticed that the taxi driver would glance at me from time to time nervously. He clears his throat. "We're almost there, miss."

"Hm", I hummed without looking at him. I was in a complete daze, the warm rays of sunlight against my face.

I didn't realized how much time has passed when the clouds started to turn grey and moody, covering little area of the sun.

The taxi suddenly halted, bringing me back to reality. I blinked my eyes and scooted over to the left side of the seat. "I'll wait for you, miss. Take your time", the driver said with a smile.

I thanked him and open the door. I close the door behind me and take a few steps forward as I take it all in.

Yellow tapes surrounded the entrance of the burnt house, its demolished state was unrecognizable. Yesterday, the police and detectives announced about a thousand-years-old body buried under the basement. Chills crawled down my spine despite the heating air.

"Eh? Miss! Miss!"

I walked passed the yellow tape, entering the red zone of the house through the dried lavender field. I care less about the warnings of the yellow tape, gripping the doll I made tightly.

I remember when we can't enter the house. We tried to save her, but it was an invincible barrier that are not seen with our naked eyes. So I walked further, ignoring the driver's panicky callings.

......strangely, the barrier was gone.

That explains how the police and other parties can get in, or the house was completely distorted that the barrier was destroyed with it.

My legs kept walking towards the house, its shape has yet for me to recall. The wind was picking up, blowing my white summer dress and the black hair of the doll.

I knelt down on one knee against the ground. I contemplated the defeated structures on the land, messy and disorganized. I hugged the white dressed doll against my chest.

"No Name....are you awake?" I asked. Silence stretched out above our heads, dead leaves falling down to the field.

I let out a sigh. "Hey, I was still hurt, you know? When you didn't say anything about my dramatic appearance when we first met." I pouted as I caressed the doll's head. "But I was impatient, so I concluded faster than a horse could reach the finishing line", I laughed quietly at myself.

"But still, I want to know what your thoughts are about it. Was it good? Was it creepy? Was it thrilling?"

Silence, the dried lavenders rustling against each other.

"So mean...", I muttered under my breath.

I pulled away the doll from my chest, gazing at the masterpiece. Button eyes, silky dress, black shoes. And of course, a fine line of a sweet smile.

The sweetest smile she wore during the fire.

My lips unconsciously crepted into a faint smile. My fingers caressed the black strands of hair.

"I figured you would feel lonely. So I made a doll that looks like you. Well, a bit." I leaned forward and leaned the doll against the charred wood. The doll lightly hunched its back, looking tired with a smile to cover the exhaustion.

I stood on my good two shoes and clenched my fists in determination. "You see, we might not be there physically for you, but we're spiritually always with you. Just like how you are with us in our hearts", I said.

I scoffed at my stupidity and mocked myself. "Wow, what a cliché, comfort speech I'm making." I ran my fingers through my hair as I giggled.

I gazed at the doll once again. It feels like I'm talking to her. Somewhere, people are looking at me like I'm a mad woman.

I glared at the doll. "So, don't be a meanie and accept the doll! Or I'll get really mad!" I stuttered.

A hand cupped my shoulder, making me jump in surprise. A short squeaky yelp escaped my throat. A familiar old woman was standing in front of me, looking at me questioningly.

Oh, it was her that called the police.

The old woman widened her eyes in realisation. "Oh! You're one of the victims! Handong, right?" she asked cheerfully, shattering the awkwardness between us.

"Yes, halmeoni. How are you?"

"I'm healthy as I always am!" she cheered. Later, she glanced at the charred woods before dragging her attention back to me.

"What are you doing here? You were talking and ranting but no one's here", she said. A heat of red rushed up to my cheeks.

I was stuttering when I tried to come up with random situation. "Uh, I'm- I was actually talking to a friend through an earpiece. We're living in a modern generation, halmeoni! So putting our phone against our ears is kind off a burden sometimes!" I lied followed with a nervous chuckle.

The old woman looked at me with a judging look before she shake her head and open her umbrella, much to my confusion.

"It's starting to rain soon, dear. Here, hold it for me. You're too tall for me to cover for you", she joked. I laughed at her and accepted the umbrella.

Like she said, rain poured down from the crying sky. Teardrops of the summer sky tapping on to the white umbrella, creating a rhythmic song with no vocals.

The taxi driver was still there. I learned that the old woman was actually the wife of the taxi driver, much to my surprise. No wonder he offered to wait. The couple also wanted to go to Seoul to visit their son.

The old woman suddenly stopped and rummaging her hand purse for something. Then everything went mute but my breathings and my thumping heartbeat. I keep listening things in my ear, an innocent sound echoed around me.

A soothing voice sings an unfamiliar lullaby melodically and melancholically.

For the last time, I turned my head around to look at the lonely doll.

I find myself smiling happily.

The doll was gone without a trace.

......and she already picked it up.

-The End-