07. Fresh start

"I- I can't tell you."

"You can and will. It's my fucking right to know!" He growls as he slams a chair on the ground. I flinch as he takes a step towards me. His eyes flash with emotion but it's gone before I can tell what it is and he backs away from me.

"Please Baylor. Please tell me."
His voice is so fragile as he stares at me. His usual stormy eyes are now a clear blue and glossy from the tears that are begging to spill.

"I mean I literally can't tell you because I don't remember everything yet!" I say and his eyebrows furrow together in confusion but he keeps a blank face.

"What do you mean you don't remember?" I take a deep breath deciding that if I tell him it might make him hate me less.

"I didn't remember anything from the car accident when I first woke up, I remember a couple things now, my memory has been coming back, but I know it wasn't me!"

"Well tell me what you do know! Baylor it's my fucking family! Mine! I have the right to know!" He says as he paces the dining room, gripping his hands in his hair.

"I know! I know Asher! but it's mine too and I'll protect her at any cost."
I feel the tears fall as I stare at Asher. His back tenses up and he looks up at me with realization and also... sorrow?

"It was her, wasn't it? The girl that died. She was the one driving. You guys were close weren't you?"
He states rather than asks as he steps towards me but I move away.

"It's not what you think! She wasn't drunk neither of us were!"

"Then why did the police fucking say you were drunk!"
He snaps.

"I don't know! I really don't! But I know we weren't! There were four people in that car! Why would someone let a drunk person drive?"
I ask him and he looks at me as he thinks about what I just said. Neither one of us has an answer.

-

Me and Asher didn't talk Sunday. Mainly because we didn't know what to say. Asher didn't know the whole story and he still doesn't, neither do I. I can't particularly blame him for the way he has treated me. I mean the cops told him I killed his family by drinking and driving. I know he has to be running everything over in his head because so am I. I saw two people in the backseat. But I have no idea who they were.

Now here I am at school where I have Asher Hill in first period. I know he's dying to talk to me. I could tell Sunday every time he saw me he wanted to say something but I left before he got the chance to. He wants more answers. But I don't have them.

But today, I can't ignore him.

I take my first step into the school and so far it's clear of Asher. I hurriedly go to my locker and rummage through it to get my things for class.

Right when I'm about to shut my locker door a hand leans on the locker beside me.

Shit.

"Baylor. Stop ignoring me!" How does he have the nerve to say that?

"How do you have the fucking nerve to tell me that? Do you remember the horrible things you said to me? Well, let me remind you of one. I.Will. Never. Like. You."  I tell him putting emphasis on every word. Then I brush past him and go to class. I guess I'm still kinda mad at him for treating me the way he did, but then again we both thought I deserved it at the time so how can I be mad? Both of us thought I killed his family drinking and driving, we were both wrong.

I sit down where I did Friday in Asher's seat just to get on his nerves. He comes in looks at me then rolls his eyes and sits in the seat right beside me.