63: Lights Out

{3 Days of SJAH ~ 1/3 }  

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Parrish asks, completely turning to face me, concern and confusion coating his look, making my eyes widen even more, and my heart beat harder.

"Last night, Bee and me were awake," I speak slowly, making sure I remember every detail, narrating not only to him, but also to myself, making sure I didn't dream the whole thing. "We heard noises inside the base, so we checked it out and... and you were there, you said you couldn't sleep either, so you were gonna work on something related to Haddelin's departure." As I speak, Parrish' eyes slowly widen, and I can see how his jaw tenses up, the same as his now white fingers holding the papers. "Parrish?" My voice trembles, and for a moment, he stays still, a mental debate going on inside his head, having to take the decisions he usually, as a second in command, doesn't.

"Seal the base! Now!" He turns around as quick as lighting, talking to the first soldier that he sees. "Seal the base! Goddammit!" He yells louder, and in just a second, every soldier around starts moving, running around, telling the orders to others, following some sort of protocol, I'm sure. Parrish starts walking, slamming the papers he had onto a table, yelling more orders as I follow him, trying to keep up with his pace. Another soldier slams with me as he runs, making me trip for a moment.

"Parrish wait! Tell me something!" I try to hold his shoulder, but he quickly turns to face me before I'm able to.

"We were told Decepticons can turn into humans now, right?" he breathes heavily, his fingers curled into fists, his knuckles still white. "if that one was anywhere near the computers... I'm not letting him get out of here" My eyes widen with his dark tone, and I finally understand, feeling all colour leave my face. "Go get Bumblebee"

In just a blink, I'm running where I came from, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. Soldiers rush past me, some of them yelling things, others organising papers and devices, everyone in a terrifying practiced rush.

I keep sprinting, someone races beside me, but grabs my arm.

"Cael! Hey!" I turn around and find Chris staring at me, agitated and bewildered. "What's going on?"

For a second, I debate in telling him the whole story or simply telling the short version, but before I speak, metal steps echo behind me. Both Christian and me turn to see Bumblebee, the same confusion as everyone else coating his optics. Chris lets me go and we sprint towards the yellow Autobot.

"Bee!" I look up at him, and I'm scared to find there's also concern in his look. He makes that sound, questioning the agitation all around. "We didn't speak to Parrish last night." His optics widen. "It was a 'Con. They're shutting the base down."

A loud metal rumble shakes the place up, and as we all turn around, we find the main entrance doors just being closed. In the moment they're completely shut, the loud lock makes us all tremble, and for a moment, a fraction of a moment, everything goes silent.

Everyone stops walking, all the eyes fixed on the sealed metal doors, a reminder this isn't any kind of practice, that we'll stay here as long as it's needed... no matter what.

"I want everyone here in five! Move it!" Parrish stands in the middle of the place, looking around, frowning as everyone does as he says. He turns his head and stares at me for a moment before raising his hand and making the 'regroup' hand signal. I nod once and turn to face Bee and Chris.

"Bee, stay here to make sure Parrish remains being himself. I don't want to return to find out the one in charge is now a Decepticon" I tell him, getting a nod in return. "Chris and me will get everyone else here"