2: Window Surprise

I stare at the now shiny car before me. Placing a hand on the roof, I slide it down to the hood. A smile that doesn't reach my eyes is drawn on my face.

"It was great doing business with you, love!" the man waves his hand goodbye, leaning on the frame of the building's door. I wave back and get inside the car. I stare at the clean dashboard for a moment, simply admiring it. It's done. I got rid of that other car; things will get better, it will be like... a new beginning. Yeah, a new beginning.

Taking a deep breath, I start the car. It roars alive, a soft purr following then; but the weight I had doesn't fall off my shoulders. I still feel a slight pressure on my chest and temples, I feel my hands shake as I steer towards the street. I feel my mouth dry and my eyes sore as I speed through the highway. Why isn't it going away? I got rid of that car to push the memories away, I got rid of it it to start over, to try to move on. But it's all there.

Instead of being soothed by the engine's purr, my breath starts going faster. I can notice my eyes flooding with tears as I feel as if I was being asphyxiated by invisible deadly claws.

Flashes come to my mind, blinding my sight as I drive. My father running towards me. The road before me appears again as I shake my head. My brother screaming my name. The trees of the forest passing beside the car. The wall of the apartment being destroyed. The purr of the engine and a faint echo of a radio. Two red optics staring right into my soul. Then, the steering wheel, and the symbol on it.

And I can't take it.

I step with both feet on the break, sending me to the front, being stopped by the seatbelt tightening around me, making me feel like even less air is going inside my lungs. I look around me and see ashes drifting through the sky, I can hear people screaming and metal clashing against metal. I hear soldiers yelling orders and explosions going off in the distance.

I try to take the seat belt off, but it's not working, my hands shake too much, and my sight goes blurry. Suddenly, I manage to unbuckle it, and as if the door was opened by itself, I stumble out of the car. Just in the moment I'm out, I fall to my knees, unable to breathe.

I look at each side of the street, wishing someone, anyone, would find me. Wishing there was someone to bring me back to reality.... or to take me back to when everything was easier.

Debris appear on the concrete as fire crackles in my ears, I can hear robotic voices in the distance, and buildings being destroyed. I can hear my feet slamming on the ground as I run down the stairs of the apartment, my brother in my arms, crying silent tears.

And I can hear the single scream that echoes through my mind and bones, making me tremble in agony as it is yelled right into my mind in the form of a terrifying scaring memory.

"YOU! YOU'RE DEAD!"

I scream in pain and terror, fists curled against the concrete. The world seems as quiet as ever as the scream trembles through my throat, being the only thing heard. And yet, no one is here to listen.

My voice dies down, along with the fear burning my veins. I notice my eyes are closed tight, tears running down my face. Unclenching my jaw, I look up and see the edge of the forest and the street, the unmoving trees staring down at me, silent. Unaware.

I uncurl my fingers, now glad that no one is here to see what just happened. On shaking legs, I stand up and lean against the car. I stay there for a moment, catching my breath, trying to calm myself down.

It's over. It's in the past. You're alive.

You're alive.

I wipe my tears away with my sleeve, then, I cover my face with my hands and take a deep breath. It will be over... this things will stop, the nightmares, the attacks, the paranoia. It's just a matter of time.