ONE

Carrington Hill

Hawaii was absolutely stunning. Anywhere I went on the island we were staying at I was surrounded with natural beauty with all the flowers, trees, mountains and the sea around me. The sunshine was softly caressing my skin and making me feel warm while the slight smell of the salty water lingered around me within the soft wind causing my hair to fly all over the place.

My smile was permanently painted on my face from the point I got on the airplane at the airport in London. I was really happy as I finally got to visit one of the many places in the world where I have always wanted to go and on top of that I was there to attend my best friend's wedding.

Mia James and I have been best friends for about three, almost four years now which seems absolutely ridiculous because it feels like we've known each other since we were born. And so for this reason it is mad to think she's getting married to her other best friend also known as Aiden Parson.

Aiden Parson went to my high school and we couldn't stand each other. He was in my maths class and we sat at the same table because we had a seating plan which to we had to stand by. If someone moved seats without the teacher's permission that was it – she went absolutely mental. But anyways, the whole point of this is the fact that Aiden and I went to school together and we didn't like each other one bit so the fact that we kind of get along now is a major achievement.

Sometimes I still have a go at him for being a total dick to me all those years ago but he knows I'm just messing around. Plus he always says something back so it's not like I annoy him or anything.

Well I would hope not. But even if I am he's at least getting a taste of what I went through.

"Carrington, hi," my head lifted up quicker than I thought it could as I heard my name being called. Looking to my side I saw Aiden which made me chuckle because just before, I thought about him and how my best friend's getting married to him.

"Hi, Aiden."

"What are you doing on your own? Mia was looking for you," he told me as he joined me on my walk. His typical Aiden scent was all I could smell as he was right next to me but it was nothing too strong. "Are you okay? You seem, I don't know, weird?"

"Wow, thanks," I laughed looking at him for a few seconds then back ahead. "I'm okay if it really bothers you and desperately wanted to know. I'm just-, wow I can't believe I'm about to say this to you, but, I'm just thankful to be here."

"Well that makes two of us," he sighed as he shared his thoughts with me – something we never did when it came to our conversations. We just usually said hi to each other and that was it. "There are just things in life that make you realise how lucky you are and I think that's great, you know. It keeps you grounded. Well I would hope."

"Yeah, definitely," I agreed with him, a small smile playing on my lips. I didn't want to get in a deep conversation with him and I already felt like I didn't know what else to say so I just quickly changed the subject. "Why did Mia want me? Has anything happened?"

"Um, I think she just wanted to talk to you," he told me after a few seconds of thinking which to I just nodded. "Are you going to be a bridesmaid? I can't believe I don't know this," he laughed and what he had said made me chuckle too.

"Actually, I am the maid of honour," I told him and he looked at me with wide eyes and his mouth slightly open. "Shocker, I know."

"Okay, wow, I should've known that."

"No, it's fine," I shrugged. "You're nervous and your head must be everywhere at this point. If it helps at all I don't know who your best man is going to be either."