NINETY THREE

Carrington Hill

Aiden Parson was not the first person my mind expected to see once I was moved to some special suite. Then again, being at the hospital was not exactly where I imagined myself to spend the evening but here we are.

In a private hospital suite with Aiden Parson by my side.

He came in as soon as he was allowed inside the room. Which was right after the doctor told me the earth-shaking and heart-breaking news of the evening.

"Miss Hill, I'm sorry but you lost the baby."

It was kind of rehearsed and lacked sincerity but then again, these people had to deliver the same news to many people on a daily basis. It wasn't their job to feel for me for not being able to carry a baby until it was due to be born. Their job was to make sure it was gone once it no longer was alive then tell the unlucky individuals about it. The 'I'm sorry' was more so listed under their duties and responsibilities in job description.

"How are you feeling?" Aiden asked curiously after he sat on the chair for a few minutes. I looked at him as he quieted down again. He looked worried and unsure of what was happening and of his actions. Yeah, definitely his actions.

"I feel like you want me to say I'm sad but I would be lying straight through my teeth," I replied genuinely. I was just empty. I didn't feel much. A bit uncomfortable, if anything. I didn't like being in a hospital, the smell was too much.

"I can't imagine what you are going through right now."

"Eh," I shrugged. "I just want to go home. I don't feel like there is any need for me to be in here."

"I think they are working on your discharge papers right now so we should be fine to leave soon," he told me with a small smile. His eyes still looked worried and he seemed ready to jump as soon as he needed to catch me in case, I fell off the bed or something.

"Where is my soon to be husband, anyway?" I asked. "Isn't he supposed to be here? Instead of you? I mean, I'm glad that at least you are here but you're not exactly the man I love or my best friend."

"No, I get it," he sighed. His eyes looked away from mine and darted towards the floor. He intertwined his fingers and twiddled with his thumbs as he tried to come up with an answer. "He didn't take the news well... he kind of freaked out. Badly. They had to call security because he was close to showing the doctor his ring collection from up-close."

"Where is he now?" I questioned quietly. I played with the blanket that was on top of me. "Is Mia with him?"

"Yeah. They made him leave the building, said he was disturbing other patients."

"Hmm," I hummed in response. I couldn't really say much else. It was expected that Harry would take the news badly. He wanted a baby, this baby, so much and now it was taken from him. I couldn't imagine what he felt like right now, how much he hated me for not being able to do the one thing he needed me for the most.

"Hey," Aiden said softly as he stood up from the chair and sat on the edge of the hospital bed. I glanced up at him and blinked, which made my tears fall down my cheeks. He pulled me to his chest and I let him. Weirdly enough, he was the only one there for me in that moment and no matter how shitty our past was or how non-existent our current friendship was, it felt nice to know I could count on him. "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

"He really does hate me now, doesn't he?" I asked quietly. My tears rolled down my face as I felt my heart break. It wasn't for the baby. It was for myself. Which made me feel horrible, I mean I should have felt sad for the baby, right? Yet, there I was, crying over the man I loved the most because he most likely wished it would have been me who died and not his baby.