SEVENTY THREE

Carrington Hill           

Our relationship was... alright. We haven't been hanging out as much as we once were due to the fact that we both had pretty weird and definitely busy schedules. It has definitely put a mark on the time we were able to spend together which I had only realised when we had a chat about it on the way home from the hospital. That was weeks ago now, Harrison was back at university, preparing for his last assignments to be handed in and exams that he yet to take. The world championship was also creeping up on me and that stressed me out quite a bit as that was the main reason why I felt so distant from my boyfriend.

With a sigh through my lips, I grabbed my water bottle and chugged it. The bottle got completely wrecked as I emptied it from the drink, I rolled the cap back on it and threw it in the bin. It was now around three in the afternoon and I was a sweating mess. I had two classes this morning, both of them were private lessons after which I had a short lunch and since then all my time had been used to practise.

The championship was something really important for Alex and I as this only occured once every year. We have won it last year and in 2015 therefore we were tempted to take the golden medal and trophy home this year, again, as a way of making up for coming second in 2016.

"Alright, I think I'm done for today. Completely shattered," Alex said which brought me back to the reality. He sat on the floor, his legs wide open in a V with his back against the wall. He made the mistake of leaning against the mirror once and his sweaty back left marks on it so I made him clean it even though there was a cleaner for the place.

"Me too," I sighed. I undid the claps on my heels and took them off, the inside of my shoes dark from the sweat. The rubbery protector on the heels of my shoes was almost fully worn out so I made a mental note of having to change that as soon as possible. "I'm kind of shitting it this year, you know."

"How come?"

"So much had happened since the last championship. I'm really nervous to compete for some weird reason. I'm not entirely sure."

"Hmmm," he hummed in the middle of standing up. His hands grabbed the towel that sat around his neck and walked over to me lazily. "We'll be fine, you'll be fine. Always knew you were a stresshead and this isn't the first time you're worrying about something that... about something that we basically already bagged," he winked at me with a cheeky smile. "We've been practising extra hard lately and when Julie came up to check on us and we had our lesson with her, what did she say?"

"That we are fine and shouldn't overwork ourselves?"

"Exactly," he nodded. "Julie would tell us if we needed more practise, in other words, if we were shit, but she didn't," Alex said calmly and collectively. Out of the two of us, he had to be the one who always had it together and it was rare when he didn't. "That woman always had a soft spot for us, I even dare to say she loves us."

"I mean she definitely treats us a little more... delicate. But there are times when she literally is out for us until we sweat blood."

"True," he laughed. "But anyway. Point is, we are going to be fine. We have gone to more championships than the ones we've won, yes, but we always ended up on that podium. Give me one championship where we didn't end up on that damn thing," he challenged me. Obviously, I had no answer to this simply because we never ended up lower than third place. "Exactly. So, even if we won't win, which I am pretty certain that we will do, we'll still get a medal and a trophy."

"True," I let out a sigh as I looked up at my dance partner. I was so lucky to have him and to get along with him so well. My career would be nowhere without him. Well, what I mean is that I definitely wouldn't be here right now if he wasn't in my life. "Guess I needed that pick up talk."