•~•CHAPTER 1•~•

I decided to start July off right! Here's the second update in two days and here's to officially diving into another love and tragedy. 

Question: Would you prefer longer chapters, about once a week or shorter chapters about twice a week? Let me know in the comments :)

Picture is who I imagine Sage to be. 

Enjoy the chapter!

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• 

~About 2 Years Later~

"I have to leave for my final stage of Alpha training. I'll be back in 6 months though, just before my 19th birthday, and we can finally get on with our lives as more than just boyfriend and girlfriend," he reminds me, smiling widely at me over the prospect. He runs the back of his hand down the side of my face and I accidentally flinch away when his hand touches the fresh bruise there. I feel my eyes fill with fear as I watch his go hard at my reaction.

"You can't be afraid of me, Sage. That doesn't work in a relationship, and we both know that you will not be getting out of this relationship." He slaps my face, his hand making contact with the bruise from the punch he delivered an hour or so ago. I choke on my breath, pleading with myself to keep my tears at bay.

He sighs, grabbing a fistful of my hair and pulling to force my face back to meet his. His voice is quiet as he asks, "When are you going to learn?"

I drop my eyes to the floor and he sighs again, dropping his hand from my hair. "You know I didn't want our goodbye to be like this. I am sorry baby. But come on, you know how I get. I don't ever want to lose you, Sage. I love you, my mate," he tilts my chin back up, much more gently, forcing our eyes to lock again.

He presses his lips to mine and forces his tongue between my lips. He explores my mouth and I do the least movement possible while still staying out of trouble. He doesn't seem to mind as his hands explore down my back to my ass. He groans into my mouth as he squeezes, and I try not to gag in response.

He finally pulls back so he can leave, his forehead on mine as I whisper, "I love you too." He smiles at that and then he's out the door, bags in tow.

I stare at the door long after he's passed through it, knowing that it is only in my imagination that he is actually gone. I mean...there's no way that he just left me alone right?

Do I even remember what freedom feels like?

I have been attached to his side for the past 3 and a half years of my life. I actually can't believe I've been with him for so long and am still alive.

I'm 17 now, as of a week ago. I take care of my sister on my own because my mother died in a rogue attack 19 months ago. Before that, my father had left us when I was 8. My sister, Faith, was about to turn 6 the night he just decided to walk out on his family. And for a reason that I still don't know of.

Conner likes to pretend he's a fatherly figure for Faith now that I am her guardian, but she will always remember what he did to her, as will I.

So here I am, a high school senior taking care of a 15-year-old. She's pretty independent for her age though, but I don't know whether to be scared or relieved by that.

"Sage." speak of the devil.

"Faith," I respond in the same tone, slowly peeling my eyes away from her to look at her.

"Are you okay?"

"More than," I say as a wide grin spreads slowly over my lips. She matches my expression, practically bouncing in place. She launches herself into my arms with a squeal of excitement and I can feel the happiness radiating off of the both of is in waves.

"What's with you two? It doesn't have to do with Conner's departure, correct?" One of Conner's friends says as he comes in the room.

I shake my head quickly, quickly thinking of a lie. "No. I told her that I would take her to the mall and that we could get mani-pedis. You know, for a sister's day."

He nods slowly in a slightly disbelieving acceptance. "Conner's okay with that?"

"He wants me to be happy right?" I answer vaguely.

He smirks like that is anything but the truth. "Mostly I guess." With that, he walks away.

Beta-to-be Ryan Trenton, aka Conner's best friend. He doesn't particularly care for me. I mean...he always stood by and just watched when Conner would hurt me, occasionally joining in when Conner felt like sharing his punching bag. He was a major prick, and his lingering eyes on my 15 year old sister make me want to bury him in the darkest part of the forest.

"I'll go get my jacket!" She yells, fleeing from the room.

I groan knowing that she was actually taking what I said seriously. Oh well. As long as they don't touch my bruises, I'll be fine. I should be healed up in 3-4 hours at max since he only hurt me on a surface level this time

"Get my grey hoodie too Faith!" I yelled up the stairs.

It was starting to become spring, but the air was still chilly and besides...I love my hoodie. It kept me protected from the judgment of prying eyes whenever I had bruises for years now and I don't plan on getting over my attachment to it anytime soon. 

•~•

"The Alpha's birthday is next Tuesday. He's having a party this Friday night... which is like...tomorrow I guess." She laughs at herself but quickly continues, "He only just announced it yesterday too which is such short notice. But of course, almost everyone is going. Are you going? You're old enough. The age restriction is 16 cause there's alcohol and nobody wants to be responsible over drunk children, I guess. The party is a masquerade ball which you know I think is actually so glamorous. But anyway! Back to my point; are you going?" My sister babbled on and on. "I don't particularly want to go. I mean, I'm too young to go and too young to find my mate anyway, so what's the point?"

"Who's invited besides our pack?" I ask with as much interest as I can mutter. I love my sister, but sometimes I just wish she'd stop talking about the pack that hates us with so much excitement.

"Oh probably just like... The 6 to 8 closest packs to us- their highest rankers and unmated wolves."

"I don't know..." Before I could finish talking, my phone rang. The caller ID said that it was Conner and I internally groaned then showed the screen to my sister so she'd be semi quiet. We walked into a changing cubicle since we were currently in some clothing store. You couldn't hear the store music and people couldn't eavesdrop on my conversation as easily.

"Hey baby," I said once finally answering.

"What took you so long to answer? Are you cheating on me? Who the hell are you with?" He asks quickly the second I finish my introduction.

"Relax baby. I was studying and my phone was across the room charging," I lie.

"I asked who the fuck you were with?!? You think I'm fucking stupid? I'm a fucking Alpha and I can hear two fucking heartbeats!" He screams through the line. Goddess how thankful I am that he is at least a hundred miles away by now, and continuing to move further away from me.

"It's Faith, Conner. She was bored so she came into my room to see what I was doing." I try to sound unconcerned. He beats me for just sounding guilty even when I have nothing to be guilty for...I definitely wouldn't want to know his reaction to me actually being guilty.

"Put her on the phone then," He demands coldly.

I sighed and handed the phone to my panicking sister. "H-hello Alpha." Her small, scared voice made me frown. She shouldn't fear my boyfriend. Who the fuck did I bring in to her life. She's too young to have to deal with his shit.

"Faith?"

"Y-yes Alpha."

"What's your sister's full name?"

"Sage Marie Harris. Daughter of Rosalyn and Christopher Harris. Sister to Faith Harris. Girlfriend to Conner Sykes." We went through this every time he asked to talk to her. He was totally quizzing her to make sure it was her and I wasn't lying. His lack of trust resulted in more than enough of the beatings I had taken over the years.

I took the phone from her after the last line. "Happy now Conner? I can't believe you don't trust me after all this time," I whined like a total bitch. This was pretty regular too. I flipped it on him because when I was proven right he felt guilty. In his own twisted way at least.

"I'm sorry baby. I just get jealous easily. I love you."

"I know you do but you shouldn't. I love you too," I gagged silently to my sister and she did the same back to me.

"But in all seriousness, I called to tell you that my father is having his birthday party tomorrow and I don't want you going. There will be a lot of unmated males there and I unfortunately won't be able to make it back for the weekend to make it known that you are claimed. You need to stay in your room during the party, Sage. You aren't allowed to go, do you hear me?"

"Yes Conner." I heard you. I practically growl to myself in my head. That doesn't mean I want to listen.

"Okay good. I love you. Bye."

He hangs up the phone before I can respond, and for that I was grateful.

"So now what?" Faith asked me when I slid the phone back into my pocket.

"I'm going to the party," I tell her stubbornly.

•~•

Faith and I ended up going a town over so that no one from the pack would see me buy my dress and mask. I couldn't be recognized, that was for sure.

But the dress I found was gorgeous and perfect. I suddenly couldn't wait for this party.