•~•CHAPTER 28•~•

**Mason's POV**

"Are you sure?" I ask for the tenth time, my disbelief clearly expressed.

"Yes it's already obvious."

"But that's awfully soon, right? Especially to know so much?"

"Well yes but a lot of factors contribute to the speed and such-"

"And you're sure?"

"Alpha, I am sure," she sounds as though she's becoming exasperated but I know she won't lose her respect. She knows better than that. My whole pack does.

I have to give her some slack though. After all, it's amazing that Carly is still alive. That credit goes completely to Karen.

"He's strong. Stronger than the son of a single alpha," she adds, looking confused.

"Maybe I just got lucky and he's been growing since the first time," I consider, not fully paying attention. My hand was on her stomach, feeling for life.

She's pregnant. This stupid war is over. She's pregnant.

"Alpha there's a problem that comes with this..."

I snap my head up to her. "What is it now?"

"Well...were going to have to wait for her to wake naturally. The drug that would wake her up would almost surely kill the fetus. It's too strong and jolting for a life so small."

"Don't give it to her. She'll wake up. She's been so close. She can do it."

"Okay. I believe so too."

"Leave us please Karen. I want to be alone with my mate."

She nods respectfully before leaving the room, presumably to go back to Carly's.

I sit on the edge of the bed, holding my mate's hand with a stupid grin on my face.

"Babygirl... I need you to wake up. I need you to see this- this ultrasound. It's amazing. He's amazing. Our pup. He's small but Karen says he's strong. You have to see him Sage."

I lean closer to her, kissing her lips softly. "Wake up baby. Wake up so I can tell you the news again and we can celebrate."

She stirs slightly like she can hear me but her eyes still stay sealed shut.

"Come one baby. Fight a little harder. You're almost there," I encourage her. Her eyes scrunch one more time before she sinks back down in relaxation.

I sigh, laying down in the bed with my arms wrapped around her and my head on her stomach, listening for any sign of life.

•~•

It seems like eons later when I open my eyes, hardly even remembering that I had fall fallen asleep.

It takes me a moment to remember why I woke up, but then I feel her hand rubbing soft circles my back and everything floods back. I shoot up straight immediately and turned to look at her, my disbelief clear. She smiles tiredly at me, clearly having just woken up as well.

"Sage!" She winces slightly at my loud outburst. I give her an apologetic smile and then lean closer to her place a kiss on her cheek. "You're awake," I smile.

She's got her eyes slightly her squinted and I take that as her trying to tell me the lights are too bright. With that, I stand and cross the room to dim them immediately so that she can wake up easier. When I come back to her, she gives me another one of her smiles before opening her mouth the talk but no words come out.