•~• CHAPTER 23 •~•

Happy Friday. So sorry for the short chapter. Hope the content makes up for it!!

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

**Sage's POV**

The next morning I am giddy upon waking up, something that never happens considering my hate for mornings.

Mason is still in bed with his arms wrapped tightly around me, his eyes closed in sleep. I snuggle deeper into his chest, pulling the comforter higher to cover my bare shoulder.

Seraphina purrs contently in my mind, no demands coming from her.

As the time ticks by, I begin tracing aimless patters on Mason's chest, leaving random kisses here and there. When I eventually move to kissing his neck, his eyes open. Finally!

I smile at him  and place one more kiss on his jaw. "Finally you wake up," I tease, "Long night?"

"I've been awake for a couple minutes but I wanted you to continue what you were doing," he smiles, leaning down to kiss my lips. "And yes it was. It would know," he teases back.

I flush, burying my face in his neck. His laughter shakes us both and I instantly swoon at the sound. Finally popping my head back up, I kiss his jaw again. "Enough of that. What do you want for breakfast?"

I pull myself out of the warm bed and pick up his shirt from the floor, throwing it back over my head as I walk to the kitchenette.

I begin pulling out ingredients from our mild grocery shopping that we did yesterday before the beach. After a few seconds, Mason comes staggering out, still looking exhausted. His hair is stilling up all over the place and I have to forcefully repress my giggles.

"So what am I making?" I rephrase, staring at him expectantly.

"Whatever you want. You know I love your cooking."

He sits at the bar-stool, watching me as I begin working on scrambled eggs, pancakes, and bacon.

As I'm waiting for the bacon to finish up, I feel Mason come up behind me, pulling me into his chest. My eyes flutter closed when his lips make contact with my neck, as if on instinct.

"Babe, I'm going to need you to go put pants on if you don't want a repeat of last night." I blush, my eyes opening wide at his words.

"I'll wear what I want," I finally get out, taunting him further. "Now eat. You're gunna need your energy."

I plate the food and hand it to him before pushing him to the couch.

He laughs, obeying willingly. He pulls me down on his lap and turns on the TV onto some sitcom. He happily takes up feeding the both of us from the single plate and I graciously accept the food he offers.

This couldn't get any better.

**Faith's POV**

Carver purposely brushes against me as he walks through the kitchen. The looks he's been giving me the past couple of days prove as much.

After our moment in the backyard, I've been trying to put a little distance between the two of us. I'm only 15 and he is already trying to have a full relationship with me. As I've said... I've been practically anti-social my whole life. I don't know how to handle this! I don't know if I'm ready for this! Maybe if he could just go a little slower...

"Faith, ready for movie night tonight?" Clary smiles as she finishes eating her breakfast cereal. She grabs the bowls for snacks and plates for the baked goods I've been preparing - yes I'm stress baking again... or still depending on how you look at it- and sets them out to be filled for tonight.

"Um...yeah... the cookies have to come out when the blue timer goes off and the brownies when the red one does and then the cupcakes when the-"

"The green one?" She laughs. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because ... I think I need to......yeah," I trail off, already making my way towards the exit Carver left out of.

He's leaning against the back door, already looking in my direction like he was just waiting for me.

"Done avoiding me?"

"I was hardly avoiding you. You haven't been more than 20 feet from me since I got here."

"Well yes I do want to be near you. But I also want you to acknowledge me...talk to me... touch me," he lists, suddenly close to me with his fingertips trailing down my arm, instantly giving me goosebumps.

"Carver, you have to understand that I'm new to all this. I'm not socialized at all. I don't know how I'm supposed to act," I practically whine, subconsciously leaning closer to him. 

"You're not supposed, Faith. You're 15. I know that. I'm not asking you to be some crazy relationship expert. But I want you to try. I don't want you pushing me away when you get confused- that's when you should be coming to me to ask questions or for comfort. Trust your instincts and trust your wolf. Did either of those things demand that you avoid me?" I shake my head silently.

"Both were begging me to go to you. They always are."

"Because I'm your mate. And you are mine. You're supposed to need me."

"I don't like being codependent."

"How would you know?" The question startles me. Why would anyone want to depend on another person when humans and wolves are so unpredictable, and life is so messy? But maybe it'd be nice to have someone to lean on and run to. Maybe I'd like having the support. Maybe-

"Will you go for a run with me?"

I look at him skeptically. He knows what he's doing- that's the scary part. The more he gets to my wolf, the faster she'll fall to him and then she will drag me down with her.

"Fine but no touching," I grumble, hoping physical distance will help keep my wolf emotionally distant.

He smirks at me and takes a step away from me with a shrug. "Whatever you say Princess."

He turns towards the forest and walks off. Semi-reluctantly, I follow after him.

Once in the cover of the trees and far enough away from my mate, I strip quickly and shift on the spot before Carver can try to be a creep.

A few moments later, the bushes start shaking just before a large chocolate brown wolf jumps over them and comes directly into my space, his nose inches from mine. I knew he'd be smirking if he was still in human form, testing the limits of my 'no touching' rule.

My lips pull back in a threatening snarl. He simply moves closer to me, walking around me without making contact. He takes in my scent, possessive grumbles leaving his chest.

'You're beautiful.' I jump slightly, not expecting to hear his voice in my head. His laughter flitters through the bond, filling my head.

He walks back in front of me, his paw barely missing mine when he steps up to me. I look down, momentarily entertained by the contrast of my blonde and tan fur to his dark, rush color.

He whines softly making me snap my head up. His eyes light up right away when our eyes lock like as if he was just trying to get my attention the whole time.

'Thanks...' I respond awkwardly, shuffling my paws through the dirt slightly.

Before anything more awkward can happen, I turn and take off through the tress. I hear his growls and the pounding of his paws as he races after me, making me laugh in my mind. I was the fastest wolf in our pack- even faster than Conner. Whenever Conner came to injure me, he'd always go for my legs so that I couldn't outrun him and embarrass him in front of everybody.

I get so much distance between my mate and I that I can't hear him behind me anymore, although I know he's still trying to catch me.

While I slow to a trot, I begin thinking about what I can do to mess with my mate...