•~•CHAPTER 36•~•

A gloved hand grabs me by my upper arm and I am pulled to my feet. I groan in pain and am rewarded with a slap to my cheek.

"Shut up bitch. And wake up. You won't be much help if your mate thinks your too far gone to be saved. Sure it's true but facades are an option."

"Mason?" I whisper, my voice hoarse.

He laughs evilly. "Yeah. That prick is in our territory. Wants to be the fucking knight in shining armor." The guy laughs again and continues pulling me through the dingy halls and then up the 4 flights of stairs that lead out of the dungeon. The evening sun pouring through the kitchen windows blinds me and causes spots to appear in my vision.

I'm shaken roughly again. "I said wake up!" I'm growled at once more and then pulled harder by my arm.

I open my eyes again to come face to face with the cause of my pain.

"Hello Sage. Sleep well after the drug entered your system? I only want the best for my girl," he smirks and then grabs me by the waist and away from the other guard. He stands me at his side with our backs facing the pack house. The open clearing where the children usually play is bare. The only people here are the fighters standing behind Conner and me. I turn my head enough to see over 200 pack members standing awaiting a fight. Some are in wolf form and some are in human form. At least 80% have bloodlust in their eyes but the others are filled with fear, and then pity when they look at me. What did I ever do to this pack to make them stand with Conner and leave me to his brutality?

I can hear the pounding of footsteps getting closer. I can feel life being brought back to me. Mason is coming for me.

"Mason!" Conner's evil voice laughs when my mate walks into the clearing. His eyes land on me and go pitch black in under a second.

I raise my swollen eyes up to meet his and a whimper leaves my cut up lips.

Conner pushes me by my shoulder so I am forced to my knees. My battered body limply obliges to his command. I could feel that haze of darkness coming back. The dizziness consumes my head and unconsciousness looms in the corners of my vision.

'I'm so sorry,' I cried to Mason. His facial expression softens slightly and he shakes his head at me. Conner's fist connected with the back of my head and I fall onto my hands and knees.

"No mind linking bitch!" He sneers at me and Mason growls, the noise echoing around the clearing as if it hadn't already been loud enough to make everyone in the clearing want to submit. All except me of course. The sound told me he would protect me now. That I was finally safe.

"Get your Luna. And kill anyone who stands in your way other than children under 16; that includes children still in the womb. Don't harm elders that aren't fighting or women that aren't fighting. Rally all those who won't fight and hold them till further notice," Mason said. As he spoke, wads of wolves came out of the tree line to back him up. It was clear they were outnumbered, but I knew for a fact that most of Conner's fighters had no idea how to fight a trained warrior.

"Sage," he directed his next words to me and I used his voice as my motivation to not let the darkness overtake me. "We'll get you. I love you."

I smiled slightly and then was pulled upwards by my collar. Mason's pack had charged and the fight was on. All 60 or so of the warriors that Mason had brought had one single motive: get me.

Conner tossed me to the side and Conner's oh so cocky new Beta caught me. He threw me over his shoulder which dug into my ribs. I was wheezing after only his third step. But he kept running. Where to? I have no clue. All I know is that I was watching where we were going and 3 wolves were chasing us. There was one on each side and one behind, all three were closing in.

Tears leaked from my eyes with each bounce of a step and then I screamed in pain when I was suddenly dropped. The right wolf had finally had enough and tackled the non accommodating male. I recognize the wolf that came to help me as Carver. He had been on the left side of The beta when he was running.

Carver whimpered at the sight of me and shifted back to human form. I kept my eyes up since he obviously didn't care about the fact that he was naked. He obviously sensed my tension though and found shorts that were hidden in a nearby tree. When he came back to me, he picked me up bridal style and I immediately snuggled into his chest, desperate for comfort.

"Please don't let them hurt me again," I whimpered. He looked down at me sadly and nodded in response. I nodded back and my eyes slowly closes on their own accord. The darkness had won.

**Mason's POV**

I stepped out into the clearing and was greeted by the dumb fuck of an Alpha who decided to hold my mate hostage.

He laughed when he saw me as if this was some joke, but when my eyes landed on Sage's broken body, it was definitely not a joke. My wolf took over immediately and once again looked over our beaten mate.

Her eyes were dull and almost completely swollen shut. Black circles outlined both eyes and dark bags were under her eyes. Her nose had freshly dried blood on it and below. Her usually perfectly plump lips were bruised and cut in multiple places along the skin. Her face had a few scattered bruises around it and her neck had a bruise of a hand imprint. Her arms and legs were all black and blue and she overall looked more than breakable.

She was injured badly, that much was clear. 'I'm so sorry,' her strained voice cried to me as if this was her fault. My face softened at how vulnerable she sounded. I shook my head at her and before I could respond, Conner hit her in the back of the head and she fell forward in pain. I growled at him for daring to hurt her, let alone again and in front of me. She couldn't even fight back if she wanted to!

All my Alpha power leaked into the growl and pretty much everyone in the clearing either flinched, bowed their head, or both. Good. They know who the real Alpha is.

"Get your Luna. And kill anyone who stands in your way other than children under 16. That included pregnant women. Don't harm elders that aren't fighting or women that aren't fighting. Rally all those who won't fight and hold them till further notice," I spoke. My pack assembled around me. Most people who had volunteered to fight had come with me while the others stayed back to protect the young and others who couldn't fight even though most of my pack has been trained to defend themselves.

My eyes locked with Sage's pain filled ones.

"Sage. We'll get you. I love you." I say my words directly to her in from of everyone. I can feel her slight happiness at my words but she's being ripped from my eyesight by a random guy before I can get to her.