•~•CHAPTER 18•~•

Carver regretfully stops his growls and lowers his eyes from those of his Alpha.

"What are you doing with Sage's sister?"

"She's mine," Carver claims gruffly, pulling me closer to counteract the little space I had made in my struggling.

"Faith is still a juvenile and you cannot claim her as yours until she is old enough for her wolf to recognize yours. Unhand her immediately," Mason orders, pouring his Alpha command into it. Carver forcefully lets go of me and I quickly step out of his arms and run to Sage's. She pulls me against her chest while I hide my face in her neck. I feel pressure on the side of my head where she presses her lips soothingly.

I can feel Carver's eyes burning holes in my back but I don't dare turn around.

"Now Carver... why the hell did you think you had a right to growl at my mate, your Luna?"

I hear Carver's heavy exhale as his eyes leave me. Only then do I sneak a peak at the male who now stares angrily into his alpha's eyes.

"Faith is mine, Alpha. Juvenile or not, she knows it just as much as I do," his eyes find mine again despite my attempt to hide the fact that I'm watching him. This time I can't look away. "You of all people should know how possessive a male is of his mate."

"Still no right to pick a fight with my mate, Carver. If you weren't one of my best friends you would be severely punished in front of the pack. But since you are, I will punish you differently. Until further notice, you are not allowed to approach or otherwise intimidate Faith without her full consent. Do you understand Carver?"

Carver roars out at this, parts of his body shifting to wolf form while the rest of his bones and muscles threaten to follow suit.

"She's mine!" He claims, canines descending.

Mason's nails grow out into dark claws and his eyes become black pits. I don't know how my sister doesn't fear him. This side of him- the side I have grown up hearing about- is pure hostility and dominance.

When the two begin to walk towards one another in menacing stances, my heart constricts in pain and my wolf howls out in sorrow. Our mate is strong but Mason is an alpha by birth. Mason is being challenged and will fight to the death for his birth right, friend or not. Carver is blinded in rage and possessiveness. He is not thinking or fighting clearly. There is no chance.

"Stop him Sage," I plea, pulling away from her as my wolf pushes me to help our mate.

She huffs in response but moves swiftly in front of her mate, placing a hand on his chest to push him away from his friend.

Mason growls at her and she growls right back, canines exposed. This side of my sister is new to me. She has no fear of Mason. It is nice to see her this way. Confident.

Conner broke her down to nothing. She would never fight back because he'd dish it back at her ten times worse. But here... with Mason she is stronger.

My mate shifts to attack, still in the mindset of getting to me.

My scream reaches all our ear as I move in front of my sister, blocking her back from his claws.

Just before his claws meet my cheek, he pulls away. He stumbles backwards away from me, horror in his dark brown eyes.

My eyes find his easily and I know they reflect my fear.

"Faith!" Sage screams, checking my face for injuries even though we all saw him restrain his movement.

"Friend or not, you were willing to attack your Luna. This will not go unpunished," Mason growls out, his angry voice vibrating the walls around us. "I, Mason Taylor, Alpha of Bloodlust, remove you, Carver Stevens, from the position of Gamma of Bloodlust. One more strike against this pack and you will be exiled."