Invisible

- Gilbert's POV -

"Alright, Mattie. Where to first?"

"Have you eaten yet? I already had food before I came here but I don't know about you," Matthew asked as we walked on the sidewalk.

"Uh, yeah, totally. If we want something, we can go back to the café," I said. The truth was that I did eat but of course, it was from a human body.

Matthew handed me some of the flyers and I looked over them, "'Kumajiro'. Are you sure you corrected these?"

"Yes, that's the correct name. I was five when my dad gave me the cat as a Welcome Home present,"

"What do you mean by 'Welcome Home'?" I asked while putting up one of the papers on a pole.

"Well, I didn't know my dad until I was five years old. My mother dropped me off at his house and basically left him in charge with me. I cried when my mother didn't come back so my dad thought a friend would help me get comfortable here,"

"What happened to your mother?" I asked but instantly regretted it when I saw Matthew frown and look down, "Shit, You don't have to tell me,"

"No, it's fine. My dad and her weren't married when she got pregnant so she left and never told him. She found him again when I was five and promised that I will finally see him. I was excited because I always asked where my father was. And well, she left me there and... She never came back. At first, I thought it was because she forgot me so I waited. It wasn't until the next year that I had accepted the fact that she abandoned me," he explained in a quiet voice and pushed up his glasses, "I guess I always been invisible. I never had friends at school when I came here. I still don't to be honest. Maybe it's just a 'me' thing,"

"I'm so sorry about that, Mattie," I whispered.

"It's fine, really," He looked up with a small smile, "I actually prefer my dad over her. I mean, he suddenly had a five year old son he never knew about and did his best to care for him. I'm really grateful for him," He said and taped a flyer on another pole.

"I guess that's why Kumajiro is important to you,"

"Yeah. He never answers to his name though. Sometimes I think he forgets the fact that I'm his owner," He chuckled.

"I guess I can relate. Gilbird is the only family that I know,"

"Your bird?" Matthew raised an eyebrow, "If I may ask, what do you mean he is the only family you know?"

I hesitated and silently cursed at myself for being open. I shouldn't be talking to a human at all but Matthew was kind and pure. If he found out I was a ghoul, I don't know how he'll react. But he is being honest with me and I thought I should be doing the same. Of course, I'm not telling him the full truth, "Well, believe it or not, I have no memory of my past. The only thing I know is that my name is Gilbert and that Feliciano, a waiter in the café, found me in a park,"

Matthew's eyes widen, "You mean you really don't remember anything?"

"Yeah," I nodded, "Feliciano found me and took me in the café and now I work there and live upstairs,"

"Wait, what about your family? You must have one, right?"

"Well, of course I do but I can't remember much. I don't even know if they're still out there and wondering where am I or if I was just forgotten..."

Matthew patted my back and smiled softly, "I guess we're not all that different, Gil,"

I smiled back at him, "Yeah. We're both actually are super awesome!"