Threat

- Lovino's POV -

I opened up the door slightly, just to be able to see and hear the conversation. I was able to see the living room, where Antonio, Emma, and Ludwig sat and talked.

"So, you said you needed to talk to me about something?" Antonio started the conversation, "Is it serious?"

"Before we continue, is there someone else in the house?" Ludwig ignored the question and asked his own.

"Oh, just my roommate and his brother unpacking in his room. I don't think they'll hear or care,"

Emma sighed and put down her suitcase, "Antonio, we would appreciate it if you keep this confidential and if you tell us the truth. What really happened the night you were attacked by the Ursa Major?"

"I thought I already did,"

"Witnesses stated there was another ghoul in the scene," Emma explained, "They saw you be taken away by this ghoul,"

Ludwig placed down a file on the table, which I guessed, was about me.

By the look on Antonio's face, I can say I guessed right. But he stayed quiet.

"Antonio, it's important for you to tell us any information-"

"Why?" Antonio asked, "Are you hunting him down?"

"We can't say much, but we need the information," Emma tried to reassure him, "What happened that night?"

Antonio contemplated, almost as if he was scared to tell. I know I haven't known him for a long time, but I could tell that he was troubled. He took a deep breath before explaining, "Before I passed out, he arrived. At first, I thought he also wanted to eat me. But he defended me. They argued but I started to faze out before I could process what they said to each other. I heard yelling and then gunshots and then I felt like I was picked up and that's when I knocked out,"

I felt my heart race as I remember the event clearly. I froze when I manage to catch a glimpse of him slightly smiled. As if he thought the memory as a good one.

"Did you managed to see what he looked like?"

"No," Antonio replied, "He had the same mask as in the picture. The ghoul eye exposed, a painted frown, and the spade,"

Feliciano yelped in shock and startled me. I closed the door to shush him.

"It was you?" Feliciano whispered, "Did you kill the Kol Clan leader?"

"I didn't kill her!" I whispered-yelled, "I defended him and got cornered by the Doves. I left with Antonio and they killed her,"

Feliciano's expression turned from shock to confusion, "Why? Why did you intervene and fought against a Kol Clan ghoul for a human? I thought you hated humans!"

"I do!" I defended myself, "I don't know why I did it. But you know we never killed humans to eat. Elizabetha and Roderich do that for us. So I never witnessed the fear they feel and Feliciano, if you only saw him, he was terrified and begging for his life. It reminded me of-"

"Of when they hunted Papa," Feliciano finished the sentence.

I gulped and nodded. I always felt safe with our father and never had to worry until that day where he frantically took us to Elizabetha and Roderich as the Doves were hot in his trail. The last time we saw him, he was wide eyed and teary-eyed, as if he knew it was the last time we'll see him. I continued, "He kept begging. Saying how he wanted to live so desperately. He talked about his family and I couldn't walk away. I just couldn't. I know I always told you that humans should mean nothing to us but-"

"They're just like us," Feliciano interrupted again, "That's what I've been trying to tell you all along,"

"I know," I reluctantly agreed. I hated when he was right.

"So that's why you tried to move away?" he asked, "Because you were scared the Kol Ghouls are going to hunt you down?"

"It's better me than all of our family. I made a mistake and I'm the one who should suffer the consequence,"

"Saving a life is not a mistake, Lovino," he reassured me once again, "You did what you think was right. You couldn't help it. You shouldn't have been afraid to tell us. We would have understood and even helped you,"

I ignored him and opened the door again to listen discreetly, "What do you mean he's being persecuted?"

"Emma, we cannot tell him anymore information," Ludwig reminded his partner.

"He's my cousin and we can trust him. And he's right that he deserves to know since he is involved in all of this," Emma faced Antonio, "Ludwig is right on the fact that you have to keep this confidential though but I trust you,"

Antonio sat up attentively.

"The Kol Clan threatened the CCG and they want him,"

"So you are hunting him down,"

"Listen-"

"He saved my life!"

"He's still a ghoul," Ludwig responded, "It's either him or our team,"

"We're not going to hand him off to the Kol Clan," Emma tried to explain, "If we were to capture him, we won't kill him. We'd most likely interrogate him in order to find the Kol Clan,"

Antonio glanced away and Emma sighed, "We need your help. Do you have any idea of who he could be? Did you recognize his voice or anything-"

"No," Antonio answered quickly. A little too quickly that it scared me. He really was trying to defend me, or at least the Frowning Spade. Antonio hasn't really made it clear if he knew it was me. And I hope it stays that way.

Ludwig looked at Emma and stood up, "I understand why you may be defensive but you must understand the seriousness this is. It's not just a hunt for a ghoul. It's the prevention of a ghoul war,"

Ludwig handed him something, "That's the CCG's number if you suddenly remembered something,"

With that, he headed out the door. Emma stood up and put her hand on Antonio's shoulder, "I've met some nice ghouls as well. It's all part of the job. But in the end, they are a threat,"

When she left, Antonio sat in silence. I don't know why it bothered him so much. I mean, I guess I attempted to do the same thing. I tried not to worry about him when I rescued him and tried to forget him. But I couldn't help it.

And for some reason, I felt my heart pound thinking of him defending me.

___________________________

A/N:

Finally updated after two months. I'm so sorry!

How have y'all been ?

I'm sorry this is also kinda filler chapter. Just wanted to update.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I appreciate all comments and votes and I'll see ya next update (maybe two more months((jk)lmao))