Family

- Matthias' POV -

"That stupid Dove was stronger than I thought..." I muttered to myself as I stretched.

"That's what you get for trying to kill someone bigger than you," Lukas scoffed as he watched me from the couch.

"Hey, we're ghouls. Humans are weak as shit. I could have killed him easily,"

"But you were being stupid and didn't notice he had briefcase," he pointed out.

"Whatever," I shrugged and examine myself, "Their weapons are getting stronger. It took me the whole night to heal,"

"That's why you got to be careful, you idiot,"

"Do you have to always insult me, Lukas?"

"It's my favorite past time," he said with a smirk.

I pulled down my shirt after making sure I was alright. The night before, Lukas and I were trying to find something to eat and I went ahead to attack a man, who turned out to be a Dove. He was able to ran away but gave me a couple injuries to remember him by. I was at bed rest for the rest of the night.

Emil, in his usual grumpy mood, sneaked into the living room and I noticed him going to the front door. He looked me and made a signal to be quiet. I wasn't going to snitch, but Lukas, even if he was facing the other way, already knew, "Emil, where do you think you're going?"

Emil groaned and slumped himself onto the couch, "I guess no where since I'm on house arrest,"

I chuckled a bit and grabbed my phone, "I'll be back,"

I started to head to the door and Lukas followed me, "Where are you going?"

I glanced at Emil, who was semi-entertained by the television and whispered, "I'm gonna try to track where those bastard Kol clan ghouls are right now,"

Lukas' eyes widen a little, "Do you want me to come with you?"

I quickly shook my head, "Too risky. Plus, you have to make sure Emily stays grounded, remember?"

Lukas was hesitant but agreed, "Stay safe,"

"Like always," I smiled to reassure him and give him a quick kiss.

Emil gagged loudly, "Can you leave, Matthias?"

"Alright, alright! I'm out,"

____________________

I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. All that I knew was that Lukas found two in the junkyard, so that is my first clue. I needed to figure out why they're here and how many are they.

As I headed there, I came across a playground. I stopped for a moment to admire the people and remembered when Lukas and I first took Emil outside when we finally got away from the Kol Clan. He almost bit a kid. It took a while for us to adapt normally.

We were always raised as ghouls. Living in the streets and killing whenever we had the chance. We were children when we were taken into the clan. When we left, we didn't know much about what we would do. Lukas and I started to steal from people in the day and at night, we kill.

I remembered that the Kol Clan used to steal children in broad daylight for food when times got desperate. I wasn't sure what situation they were in now, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was still the case. I decided to sit down on a bench, trying to see if I recognize any faces.

I got distracted for a couple minutes and didn't notice a bouncy ball rolling towards my way. When it hit my leg, I looked up to see a child run towards my way, "Sorry, mister! I kick really hard!"

I made a slight smile, "It's alright, kid,"

"Yeah and it went really far too!" The boy was blonde with blue eyes and with a carefree smile. His knees were covered with bandages, which I assume were from being a troublemaker, and his hands and shoes were covered in dirt, like his ball.

"Peter!" A man started running up to us, "I told you not to leave our sight,"

"Sorry, Dad! Did you see my kick? It was super strong!"

The man finally started walking and I stood up in surprise as soon as I recognized him.

"...Berwald?..."

Peter looked up at me, "You know my dad?"

Berwald stopped as he recognized me, but continued to walk forwards to get to Peter, "Matthias..."

I stood there in shock. Right in front of me was Berwald Oxenstierna. A person who I used to call as my brother and right-hand man. I haven't seen him in years and now, here he was. It's been a long time, but he was still as tall and lanky and wore glasses now.

He pushed his glasses up and looked down at the boy, "Go find your Papa. I'll be there in a second,"

Peter nodded and ran off. Now it was just silence between us two. Berwald dared to break it, "It's been a while,"

I scoffed and crossed my arms, staring at him with disbelief, "Yeah, if you call 10 years 'a while'"

"Matthias-"

"I thought you stayed in the Clan. Or that you would at least look for us if you came back to your senses. But I guess you really were avoiding us after all,"

"Matthias, listen," He interrupted me, "I was not avoiding you. I did leave the clan and found a better way of life. I thought it was best to leave the past behind,"

"Don't give me that bullshit," I glared at him, "You know we wouldn't have left you behind. Because we were a team,"

"But you did anyways," Berwald muttered quietly.

I pretended to not have heard him and looked back at the boy, who was running back towards us, "So I assume he is the better way of life? He's your kid?"

"Yes,"

"Does he know how to use his abilities yet?"

"Abilities?" Berwald looked confused for a moment and then realized, "Oh, he's not really... He's adopted"

"Why does that matter? Emil was adopted to us until it turned out he was actually Lukas' brother by blood,"

"Papa, look! Dad made a friend!" Peter said as he dragged someone towards us. I cursed silently as I recognized the person. A smaller, blonde man smiled and wave.

"Hello, I don't believe we've met," he extended his hand for a shake, "I'm Tino Väinämöinen, Berwald's husband and this is Peter, our son,"

____________________________

A/N:

Major OOF-

Updates may be slow this month, due to testing and projects at school. Thanks for your patience and support!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I appreciate all comments and votes and I'll see you next update!