Gáta

- Alfred's POV -

I'm just going to do it.

This whole waiting game was driving me crazy. I was worried for Kiku the whole week since he disappeared from me. I tried not to bother him, but I would text him once in a while to see if he wanted to talk about it, but he would leave me on read. It only made my worries grow. I didn't stop by his place during the week. I didn't want to be annoying or seem like stubborn creep. Besides, I knew Hercules would have probably been there and wouldn't let me inside.

But after a week, I was determined to go see him. I didn't care what Hercules thought, I needed to know if Kiku was alright. If I can show him that he could trust me, maybe he would let me help him with whatever situation he was in. And also let him know my true feelings about him.

I stopped my walk when I received a message from Arthur.

Eyebrows: Where are you? I need to talk to you.

I ignored him and continued on my way. But as I passed by the street, I heard a faint muffled yell. Instantly, I changed my pace and headed towards it. It was late and getting dark. Luckily, I had just left work and had my silver case with me. We aren't supposed to take it with us if we're not working, but I wouldn't risk walking out in night without some sort of defense. The city doesn't forbid people from walking out at night, but it does have a curfew for those who have a will to live and not die by a gang of ghouls. People wouldn't even drive at night as they heard rumors that a ghoul's kagune is strong enough to lift tons. Shops would close by sunset and people were desperate to get early shifts rather than have to worry if they got home alive.

I was the type of person who would walk out in night looking for a fight against a ghoul. That's the reason I joined the CCG; to make my neighborhood safer by eliminating the threats. Did I have sympathy for them? Of course. I understood they had lives and killed because it was their way of survival. That's why I leaned towards the capture of ghouls instead of the murder. But I also knew there were should who are greedy and kill for the hell of it.

I headed towards an alley, which is common for ghouls to stake out for any fool who would walk late at night alone. The yelling had stopped. I decided to risk it and peeked to see what I had expected. A young boy knelt over a man's body, eating the deceased man's organs. He was about 10. Suddenly, two more ghouls jumped from the roofs and landed next to the boy. I couldn't tell who they were, as they were wearing masks to shield their faces. The taller one only covered the top part of his face with a simple white mask. His beard and mouth were the only thing exposed. The other had a mask in the shape of a terrifying cat's face. The young one didn't seem afraid of the newcomers.

"Gupta, what did I say about hunting before night," the one with the white mask asked.

"He was hungry," the one with the cat mask replied for the boy, "The sunset started. I was protecting him, Sadik,"

"Well, you both could have been in danger," the other replied, "You need to be more cautious. What if Gupta attacked a Dove? He would have never made it out alive! I do the hunting for a reason,"

"Whatever," the Cat mask scoffed.

"Now help him clean up. I'll see if I can find a way to take the body back to the apartment. Food is too scarce to dispose,"

With that, the white mask man left, leaving the boy, the Cat man, and the body.

The Cat masked ghoul sighed before kneeling down to the boy, "He's always on my ass for something. You're lucky he likes you,"

The boy didn't reply and took another bite.

"Come on. We better go home," He lend his hand, "The sooner we get there safe, the sooner I could sneak out and see Kiku,"

"Kiku?" I couldn't help but say out loud. Not that he mentioned it, we were nearby Kiku's place. And his voice was familiar.

I watched as the boy climbed on his back and the older ghoul started to climb the building to get on the rooftops.

I sighed in relief, but before I could step away, a noise disrupted the area at the worst moment.

My phone rang loudly as someone called me.

"Shit, shit, shit!" I scrambled to get my phone from my pocket and saw it was Arthur calling me and unread messages from him. I turned off my phone as quickly as I could and I stayed frozen. If a ghoul heard that and see me run, I could be dead.

I stayed still, the silence was menacing. Right before I could assume it was safe, a figure fell down from above and landed in front of me. I stood my ground as I faced the cat mask ghoul and the little boy. He glared at me with his pitch black and red eyes. He gently put the little boy down and looked at me.

I heard him chuckle, "Oh, this is perfect. I guess we're having seconds after all,"

His kagune sprouted from his back, showing two sets the divided into 3 giant claws each. I opened my case to show my weapon, a quinque that formed into a red, giant axe. He charged towards me but I managed to block his attack. I recognized him from files of ghouls in the area. He was nicknamed 'Gáta' and was known to be a pacifistic ghoul. He rarely made a name for himself and was rare to find, none less rare to see him attack someone. But he didn't seem quite the pacifist as he struck attack after attack. He aimed to kill me while the boy watched us, quietly.

I managed to kick him back and disorientated him. I swung the axe back, ready to swing it down on him.

"ALFRED, NO!"

______________________________

A/N:

Gotta love cliffhangers, don't you?

Don't worry, next chapter will come out very soon.

For those who answered mu question on the last chapter, yes, 1918 is the year Prussia dissolved :)

(Gupta is Egypt if y'all forgot)

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I appreciate all comments and votes and I'll see you next update!