Protect

- Feliciano's POV -

To the worst of our luck, Roderich went downstairs to open up the coffee shop, leaving Elizabetha to be the one to scold us, "Follow me,"

We did as told and then turned around to see Gilbert walking away to his room, "You too,"

He slowly turned around and was about to argue, but one look of Elizabetha's expression left him in silence and continued to follow usm

With our heads looking down, she took us to her room and made us sit down.

She looked disappointed and upset, but not as angry as before "Now will one of you tell me exactly why you were fighting?"

None of us dared to speak. She cleared her throat and stared at Gilbert, "Why were the twins fighting, Gilbert?"

"Uh...", Gilbert looked up nervously and made eye contact with us. We tried to be discreet and make sure he won't tell by staring at him with begging expressions. He finally looked back at Elizabetha and shrugged, "They were already fighting when I walked in. I tried to separate them,"

Lovino and I both let out a sigh of relief and Elizabetha crossed her arms, "Go helped Roderich, Gil. I'll deal with them,"

Gilbert gladly did so and didn't look back. Now it was just Elizabetha, Lovino, and me. It was a brief silence until Elizabetha decided to talk first, "So are either of you going to tell me what happened back there? You two never fight. I mean, when you were kids, you did but I never expected this type of behavior between you two at this age. You're adults,"

"Yeah, we're adults," Lovino spoke back, "So we do you keep acting like our goddamn mother?"

I noticed Elizabetha flinch a little but did not react hugely. Instead, she took a deep breath, "Boys, I've known you since you were born. You know your father was a close friend to Roderich and me. When he passed, he told us to keep Armonia and you alive by following simple rules. And we have done so this far and I raised you like my children. One of the rules in this house is no violence. I will not tolerate trouble in this place. Now one of you will tell me why exactly you two were fighting like savages,"

Lovino and I glanced at each other. I reflected on myself how this was my fault. Lovino caught me and I responded with attacking him. I wasn't sure why I did that. Lovino and I actually fought a lot when we were younger. It was mostly him teasing me. But as we grew older, we were able to tolerate each other. I would protect Lovino, he is my brother and I love him, of course. But the way he talked about Ludwig frustrated me. I already knew it was going to be difficult, him being human and me being a ghoul. But hearing Lovino scold me for feeling something made me upset. It was like I have been trying to ignore the fact that Ludwig is suppose to be a danger to me and Lovino was reminding me of the harsh reality. He was just trying to protect me, "It was my fault-"

"Yeah, it was," Lovino quickly interrupted, "He misplaced his paintings for his class and I accidentally stepped on them and threw it away,"

I glanced at him, confused and shocked but I nodded and continued on his story, "I got upset and we started fighting and you know..."

Elizabetha nodded once she understood, "Well, you both took it too far. Feliciano, now you know to be careful and Lovino, control your temper,"

We both agreed with her and she gave us a soft smile, "You're brothers. It is rare for us ghouls to have a family. You're lucky to have each other to protect one another in time of danger. Now you two will make up and get ready for your shifts, alright?"

"Yes, Elizabetha,"

Once she was satisfied, she walked out and left us. Lovino groaned and let himself fall back on the bed.

"Lovino?" I whispered.

"Hm?"

"Why did you say that?"

"Because I knew you were gonna be a dumbass and tell her the truth,"

"Yes, but you didn't have to do that. I wasn't going to tell her about you and Antonio,"

"It's because of that, idiota. I knew you were gonna lie to protect me,"

"Oh,"

Lovino turned around to lay on his stomach and planted his face onto the blankets, "...rry..."

"What was that?" I asked.

He lifted his head and reluctantly repeated, "I said I'm sorry,"

"It's alright, fratello," I laid down next to him, "I'm healed now and I can wash the uniform,"

"No, I meant about yelling at you,"

"Oh? Why are you saying sorry for that? You were only trying to protect me,"

"Because I said some fucked up shit. And I was being hypocritical like you said. But you do understand why I said those things, right?"

"Yes," I closed my eyes and let myself relax, "But Mama and Papa fell in love either way,"

"Yeah, and they both ended up dead," Lovino mumbled.

I thought for a while and said to him, "You feel the same way about Antonio, don't you?" 

Lovino didn't answer.

"You're scared, aren't you?"

"Shut the fuck up,"

I smiled sadly at him, "It's because you understand what I feel. You wanted to knock some sense in my head and yours, right?"

He didn't respond for a moment and stood up. He faced away from me but I was able to have a small look of his face. He looked not only red from embarrassment, but he also looked frustrated and conflicted. It was then I knew I was right, "I have a shift to work and so do you,"

"Lovino," I said quickly before le left.

He groaned, "What?"

"I'm still going to see him," I said determinedly. Just because it is safe to stay away, it doesn't mean I had to listen to my brother.

He scoffed and looked away, "I can't say I didn't try then,"

With that, he quickly went down the hall and downstairs.
_________________

A/N:

Omg, a lot of you guys have been giving love to this story lately and I really do love all your comments and votes, I mean. Nothing makes me smile more than seeing someone take their time to just say anything about my writing. I really appreciate!

Thanks, and I'll see ya next chapter!