Child

- Peter's POV -

"Hey Dad," I said as soon as I got into the car. It was rare that I get pulled out from school early since my parents don't want me to miss out from my classes so I was curious as to why I was called out in middle of class.

I looked at my father, who seems more serious than usual, probably thinking. He usually has a scary serious face but it's normal for us. But I could tell he was thinking about something important, "Is something wrong?"

"No, no," he finally focused and looked at me, "I was just thinking,"

"It's just you and Papa never take me out of school early, no matter how much I beg,"

"Well, something came up and I thought you should come,"

"Is it a surprise?"

"No, but it's a secret, understand?"

I nodded excitedly, "What's the secret?"

"We're going to Matthias' house,"

"Uncle Matthias?" I repeated, my eyes widening in surprise. My parents were clear that I wouldn't meet my dad's family because they're ghouls but I wanted to anyways.

"Yes, but don't tell your father,"

"Why?"

"He didn't want you to meet them. At least not so soon,"

"So you're lying to Papa?"

My dad frowned and looked away, "Well, now I feel bad..."

"It's OK, I won't tell!" I reassured him, not wanting him to change his mind.

"Your father is just scared,"

"Because they're ghouls?"

He stayed quiet for a moment, "It's more than that,"

"I thought so because Papa loves you even though you're a ghoul," I smiled at him.

My parents are one of the few odd people who can coexist despite being different species. But that's because they are in love. For others, it's not as easy to understand each other. That's why we keep our family secret to ourselves. It's been hard though, hearing people say ghouls are monsters and murderers. And that may be true... But I try not to think about it, since it's the only way my father can survive... Even if it does cost people's lives...

But anyways, he is my father and we love each other! That makes him more human than most people today. Well, at least I think so.

I look out the window, thinking about my weird family. I was adopted by my dads when I was young, so they've always been my true family. But because of the double lives we live, I've learned to be careful of who I talk to, so it's hard making friends.

Not that I don't have friends! It's just they're not like my super best friends. I don't have sleepovers at my place or invite people for the risk of finding something suspicious so I'm not close to anyone in particular. It must be nice though. But I'm happy the way we are! Just me, my dad, and my pops. If I were to lose them, well, then I would be all alone, wouldn't I?

My dad finally parked the car in a neighborhood that was quite a distance from where we live. I guess that's why we never seen them before. The neighborhood was oddly empty and quiet, like a ghost town. Their house was smaller than ours and they had the curtains covering the window in order to hide whatever they did in there from the public eye.

Before I could unbuckle myself out of the car, my dad stops me, "Before you go inside, you need to listen and follow what I say,"

I nodded attentively.

"Your Uncle Matthias and your cousin Emil do not know we're here,"

"I have a cousin too?!"

"Besides that point," he kept me on track, "Lukas, Matthias' partner, invited us because he needs to talk to me. So we must be careful and quick. Do not ask too much questions to Lukas 'cause I know you're curious,"

"Not even one?-"

"No. Maybe another day. Just let Lukas say what he needs to say and we can leave,"

I looked at him for a while, trying to figure out what was weird about him, "Why are you so nervous? Aren't you family?"

He stayed quiet, as if he had barely realized that he was nervous. He shook his head and opened the door, "Let's just get it over with,"

I hop off the car and followed him to the doorstep. He gently pulled me behind him and whispered, "Stay close to me,"

It was then I realized that he was actually scared. Scared of what Lukas would think of me and him. What he could do.

He knocked loudly and we waited. It wasn't long until we heard the footsteps and the white door open to reveal a young man with light blonde hair and a hair clip holding it up and dark blue eyes that didn't glimmer like a normal person.

"Come in," he said in a monotone voice. As soon as the door closed behind us, Lukas relaxed and his eyes turned to the familiar pitch black and bright red of a ghoul, like my dad's. He stared at my dad and then looked down at me with a smile, "You must be Peter,"

"Yep!" I smiled back, feeling more relaxed, "My dad took me out of school to meet you. He said you wanted to see me and that you live here with my Uncle Matthias and cousin Emil! Is Emil your son?"

My dad then gave me that look as if 'I'm talking too much again' but Lukas chuckled, "He's actually my brother, so he wouldn't really be your cousin. He's older than you but still a kid,"

"Lukas," my dad interrupted our conversation, "You told me you needed to see me in person to tell me something you couldn't say on the phone. What is so urgent?"

The ghoul sighed and leaned against the kitchen table, "I have information that isn't meant to be leaked and if I said it somewhere public that the government could see, I could have gotten all of us arrested and ki-"

He stopped, seeing that I was paying full attention. I knew he was thinking I was too young and immature to know what they were talking about. But I'm mature! I was brought here for a reason!

Even so, I was sent to their backyard to play with Emil's bird, Mr.Puffin, who hanged on a small cage. He wasn't an actual puffin, he was a cockatiel. But I managed to creak open the backyard door, getting a glimpse of Lukas and my dad talking.

"When I heard that you had a family with humans and that you had a son, well, I felt selfish to hide this fact. I've been hiding it from Matthias as well because he would be worried if he knew what I've been doing,"

"What are you hiding?"

"He thinks I work as a nursing assistant but I actually managed to get hired for the CCG research center as an assistant. It's a long story that I don't have time to explain now but if he knew, he would probably be furious that I hid that from him. But that's beside the point,"

He paused and looked back to the door, which I closed before he noticed. I leaned my ear against the door, trying to listen what he had to say.

"There's is development for a 'cure' against Ghouls,"

____

A/N:

I apologize for such a delay on updating!! I've been really busy and my phone had broke so I needed to get a new one. I also been applying for colleges and stuff and homework is taking up a lot of my time. I'll try to be more consistent though!!

Anyways, I missed going back to write this.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I appreciate all comments and votes and I'll see ya next update!