Stay

- Francis' POV -

"What's Alfred been up to?" I started the conversation as well both laid in bed, doing nothing but enjoy each other's company. I was forgetting all my worry by just talking to Arthur.

"He's still moping since he got rejected,"

"He got rejected? What was the guy's name, again?"

"Kiku, I believe. And he didn't exactly get rejected because he never told him. According to Alfred, he just isolated himself and is persistent about seeing him,"

"That's odd... What happened?"

Arthur shrugged, "He said they were out one night and Kiku got scared and hid because they saw Yao from work. After that, he ran away and haven't spoken to Alfred yet,"

"Oh, yes!" I sat up, "Alfred told me about Kiku's fear of Yao,"

Arthur sat up next to me, "Do you have any idea of what it means? Yao doesn't look like the type to have people afraid of him,"

"Then you obviously haven't seen him when he gets his lunch stolen," I smirked and then went back to the issue, "But there was a time where he was closed off from everybody. Weren't you there when the incident happen?"

"I know it was around the time the Gladiator and Alarich Beilschimdt were killed. I was busy those times," Arthur explained, "I was working in that mission and also seeing where the missing older son was. It was a tragedy he was never found. Then Ludwig was all alone. At least Emma took care of him for a while. Back to your point, I did hear something about a ghoul mass murdered Yao's family, but I never bothered to look more into it. The poor lad seemed devastated"

I nodded, "He was so bitter and cold towards everybody. He was told he could take a break from work but it only made him more invested and dedicated to it instead,"

"I assumed he was looking for killer,"

"He doesn't even know his real name. He called himself Kuro. Yao started to get trust issues after that. He never managed to find him and it's been 10 years," I continued, "Alfred told me not to ask Yao about Kiku, but I asked him anyways. I mean, I only asked if he knew a Kiku and that's it. For the boy's safety, you know. He said he never met him"

Arthur became quiet for a moment and then looked up, "And?"

"Why would Kiku be afraid of a man who doesn't know him?"

Arthur finally understood what I was saying, "You're not assuming he's the ghoul-"

"The ages and description match up. And we're in the same area,"

"That would explain a lot. That Kiku did seem mysterious from the moment we met him in the junkyard being attacked from those ghouls" Arthur sat up more, finally piecing in my logic.

"And I found more," I said as I took my computer and opened it to a folder, "Do you remember Dr. Zwingli? The one researcher in the science department who is running from the CCG? It turns out he made unauthorized experimentation on ghouls based on his own theories and wants. I managed to take these-"

"The stolen files?!" Arthur took the computer from me, "We thought Dr. Zwingli deleted everything! How did you get this?!"

"It wasn't deleted when I was looking in his office. When I got the threat, I knew the CCG wouldn't let me work on anything Kol Clan related so I decided to download them. I didn't know they got deleted,"

"Then Zwingli couldn't have deleted them himself... At least without entering the area unnoticed. This just proves further that there's someone in the CCG that's helping the Kol Ghouls. But that was reckless of you, Francis! What were you thinking of doing with this information?"